News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Remove product and categories from on language, and not from all language?

Started by Jens Pedersen, January 23, 2013, 14:47:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jens Pedersen

I have a webshop with Danish and English languages. I chose to build the Danish webshop first, and the plan was to create the Engelse afterwards. When I made the Danish was homepage and admin page as default in Danish. I discovered that I had created all my categories and some products where the site was default to English. it has meant that, I have some products and all categories in Danish when you go to the English website.
I do not want to delete my products and categories because it has been a great work to create all the products. so the question is, how do I remove the Danish products and categories from the English website without being removed from the Danish?
Thank you...

jjk

If I understand your description correctly, I think you just can cut the danish text from the english language views and paste it into the danish ones (and don't forget to click on 'Save' after each paste). If you have many products, it might be quicker to do this directly in the database tables - the free MySQL client 'HeidiSQL' is a nice tool for this kind of work.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

Jens Pedersen

The problem is that when I created the products/categories in Danish, it was not meant that they would also be on the English site, but it happened because I was not aware of the default site.
If I delete products/categories from the English site, it is also deleted on the Danish, but I want to delete them from the English without deleting them from the Danish. how do i delete the product and categories on the English site without delete them from the danish site do you know how to do it?
Thank you

jjk

I think you don't need to delete any products. It looks like you already have two category menus, one for Danish and one for English (At least I can see 'da' and 'en' language tags attached to your menu items)

Try this with one category and one product first:
In Virtuemart configuration
1. Go to your danish (default site language) VirtueMart category edit view, select English from the Virtuemart language dropdown list, so that you can see the translatable fields with an english flag and replace your danish category name and SEF-Alias with the english category name - and click on 'Save'.

In Joomla configuration
2. Go to your english category menu Menu Manager: Menu Items and select your first english category (currently shows Danish). Change the danish title and alias to the corresponding english title and alias. In the 'Required Settings' choose your danish category name. And under 'Menu item associations' choose your corresponding danish category menu item. Click on 'Save'.

3. Now go to your first product in that category in VirtueMart Edit product view. Select English from the Language dropdown list. You should see bristish flags next to the translatable fields again. Change your product name and alias. Go to the 'Product Description' tab (you should still see english flags) and replace your danish 'Short description' and 'Product Description' with your english text. Click on 'Save'.

After you have clicked on 'Save', Virtuemart will automatically switch back to your default site language.
Clear Joomla cache and check the result in the frontend.

Jens Pedersen

Hi Hero master.
Thank you
This is working so good...  ;D
You make a very good weekend for me...  ;D ;D ;D ;D

jjk

If you like VM2, you may consider a review in the Joomla extension directory  ;D