News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

How to Set default Tax rules

Started by CenturionSigns, January 22, 2013, 17:14:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CenturionSigns

Virtuemart: 2.0.12f
Joomla: 2.5.8

Hi there,  how do I set up a default tax rule??  Have created a tax rule for VAT but can't seem to work out how to make this the default for all products?

jenkinhill

Set Type of Arithmetic Operation : Vat tax per product   (unless you prefer Tax per bill)

Math operation:  +%

Value:  20.0000

Enter nothing for the following:
Product Category    
Shopper Groups
Country
State / Province / Region

Make sure end date is set to -Never-
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

lostmail

Hm - i emptied the fields like in post above.

So I get now the 19% Tax rate as default for new products.

Fine.

How will the calculation for "non EU-Members" look like (Switzerland, USA.....)

Do i have to create a rule with "- 19% Tax" rule for all countries which belong noch to EU ??
Joomla 3.x | VirtueMart 4.0.12 107771 | HORME3 PRO 1.9.6 / 2.0
VirtueMart 4.2.4 | Joomla 4.4.1 | PHP 8.1 | Vp_neoteric 1.3

lostmail

Quote from: jenkinhill on January 22, 2013, 18:38:45 PM
Set Type of Arithmetic Operation : Vat tax per product   (unless you prefer Tax per bill)

Math operation:  +%

Value:  20.0000

Enter nothing for the following:
Product Category    
Shopper Groups
Country
State / Province / Region

Make sure end date is set to -Never-

THAT Tax rate adds tax to all other tax calculations !
=> absolutely unuseful !!

But in Backend you need a default tax rate to calculate Products !

What is the solution for it to have tax calculation in backend ??? Default X % ???

jenkinhill

Quote from: lostmail on May 03, 2013, 17:29:06 PM

Only one VAT rate needed selling in the UK to UK addresses only........

You appear to want to set tax for more than one country, so use a tax rule of (eg 8%) and set that for whichever countries it applies to, another rule, eg 18% can be applied to different countries, another rule of zero tax for the rest would mean you do not specify a country for that. You can have as many rules as you like and apply them to categories, shopper groups or countries however you wish.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

lostmail

Quote from: jenkinhill on May 03, 2013, 18:32:05 PM
Quote from: lostmail on May 03, 2013, 17:29:06 PM

Only one VAT rate needed selling in the UK to UK addresses only........

You appear to want to set tax for more than one country, so use a tax rule of (eg 8%) and set that for whichever countries it applies to, another rule, eg 18% can be applied to different countries, another rule of zero tax for the rest would mean you do not specify a country for that. You can have as many rules as you like and apply them to categories, shopper groups or countries however you wish.

Yes - i know that - but than in backend i have no way to let the price calculate (normally i use to set a price including tax - save the product and price without tax is calculated by calc.-rule)....if there is not "Default rule" the calculation will not work.....!!

BUG ! or forgotten ?

Something`s going wrong here...

jenkinhill

That is not the way my biggest clients work. They have a cost price - ie the basis from which prices are calculated. They know that because they sourced the products. Then they use a default calc rule to add in their profit margin - eg 40%. This is the Base price. To that is added VAT at 20% - another calc rule. That gives the Final price - which can be overidden if they want. eg if the product comes out at £101.32 they may override that price to give £99.95

The rules you apply to a product can be set in the rules selector next to basic and final prices. So you could have a rule set up eg called gobackwards and select that for your products before using the calculate cost price switch.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

lostmail

Hm - bad, bad,...at last my customers are used to set a pre calculated Endprice (incl. tax)  and the shop system calculates back what basic price is (w.o. tax).

Currently my prices in backend look like this (attached).

All prices are w.o. tax - Shop Owner can not see the price incl. tax.....only in frondtend...

Never seen that before in a shop system...incl  not VM 1.1....why did you change that in 2.x....???

You mean I have to save a product twice ??
1 x to calculate the price w.o. tax with a ctax calculation rule coming from Endprice
1 x to set the basic price

2 x save product only to calculate and set prices ??
Arghhh... :P

[attachment cleanup by admin]

lostmail

At last - what is it good for to set a rule in products ?
If set - the rule is guilty for every shoppergroup.....no matter which rules are exisiting....

I think the best way would be if admin could set 1 calculation rule as Default (i.e. to calculate Products with tax)...which is only active in backend for admins to calculate Brutto/Netto-Prices....

There is a missing connectivity between customer countries/tax calculation and backend...
----------------------
I tried this trick:
Set up a calculation rule for tax with 19% (without filling any further fields) - so that it is a Default rule.
Checkbox "Visible for customers" deactivated (I unterstand it this way, that the rule is not active in frontend)
Checkbox "visible for Admin" activated.

But unfortunately the rule is still active in frontend....what are these options good for ?