News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Please help! Previous/Next Product navigation does not work

Started by ypc260, January 17, 2013, 09:00:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ypc260

Hi!
I'm using VM2.0.18 and Joomla2.5.
The previous/next product navigation does not work perfectly. For example, in one product category, I totally have 40 products, but while using the Prev/Next navigation I can only found maybe 5 or 6 products. Anybody can give me some hints?

Link is here:   http://bagmakerchina.com/china-custom-bags-and-luggage/china-laptop-bags-manufacturer

Thanks in advance!!!

uschmi

franzpeter

What I can see so far for the pages having problems with forward and backward buttons in product details pages is that the product names are always the same. If you give all products in a category the same name like for example 'Backpack' and the only difference is the sku for example, while even the short desciption looks pretty much the same for all products, the forward and backward navigation may not work. To get it to work it seems to be necessary to add additional criteria for the navigation query. For example: If the product name is the same and only the product sku is different, the navigation should query with product name and sku.
I do not know whether it is a true bug! If VM makes a query to find the next or previous product by product name, how should that work if the search criteria is always the same. Maybe it is possible to add an additional criteria to the query for previous or next product but if not those problems occur by default if different products in the same category have the same product names.

uschmi

Quote from: franzpeter on January 19, 2013, 10:51:00 AM
What I can see so far for the pages having problems with forward and backward buttons in product details pages is that the product names are always the same. If you give all products in a category the same name like for example 'Backpack' and the only difference is the sku for example, while even the short desciption looks pretty much the same for all products, the forward and backward navigation may not work.

This is definitely not the case in our shop. All items have different names/descriptions. See here: http://www.unexsports.de/produkte/bekleidung-schuhe

Peter Pillen

first check if the navigation works with sef and cache disabled. I'm also searching for the answer to this mystery, but i lies somewhere in the sef settings.

uschmi

Quote from: P2 Peter on January 19, 2013, 14:36:42 PM
first check if the navigation works with sef and cache disabled. I'm also searching for the answer to this mystery, but i lies somewhere in the sef settings.

No difference with SEF + Cache disabled...

Peter Pillen

and what do the urls look like with sef disabled?

page 1: ?
page 2: ?
page 3: ?

and return to page 1: ?

leggyjp

Hi

I have 2.5 with VM .18 and have the same problem, it's driving me mad. In products list I get stuck on page 1 as the next button doesn't work. Also I can only list six products, listing more or all doesn't work. Did you get a fix?

John

uschmi

Quote from: P2 Peter on January 19, 2013, 15:06:51 PM
and what do the urls look like with sef disabled?

/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=231&virtuemart_category_id=4
/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=4
/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=181&virtuemart_category_id=4

Peter Pillen

@uschmi ... I see you disabled the next previous navigation. The urls you wrote, take me from a product, to its category and then to the next product.

uschmi

Quote from: P2 Peter on January 21, 2013, 15:48:05 PM
@uschmi ... I see you disabled the next previous navigation. The urls you wrote, take me from a product, to its category and then to the next product.

No, id did not - see screenshot!
And, it definitely worked until 2.0.18

[attachment cleanup by admin]