News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

I'm confused about the parent/child construct

Started by davojeddy, January 19, 2013, 00:53:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davojeddy

Hi,

I'm having some trouble figuring out what the purpose of parent/child relationships are in version 2.

Maybe it's the way I've imported the data from the older version but the link between a child and a parent doesn't seem to work the same way any more.  For instance, I used parent products with no price or stock as containers for products (parent SomeArtwork, Children Original,A4_print,A3_print etc).  When I set the image for the parent, the children used it and all was well with the world :-)

In the new version, children don't seem to inherit anything that I can see.  Maybe when I add some new products it will be different, but the stuff I've imported doesn't operate that way.

I think I'm going to remove the links from child to parent and have each item separate.  It'll make creating new products a bit more time consuming but with multiple categories now, I don't think I need the relationships any more.

Can anyone help with my confusion?  Am I doing something wrong?

[EDIT]
Hmmm, I did test adding a new product and it looks like some information (like the images) is inherited.  So at the moment, it looks like it was the import process that's somehow screwed up for me.

To answer my own question :-)
The parent/child relationship seems to be (as I expected), so that you can easily add information to a parent that is inherited by the children.

Now to do some db hacking I think..

ciao
dave