News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Product details page content inclusion (not custom fields)

Started by antifragile, December 27, 2012, 08:58:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

antifragile

Hi, hopefully this is not a completely stupid question; I may be expecting functionality which may not be as easy to implement as I think:

I have successfully imported product details via CSV Improved. For example I can see the product dimensions (length, ...) in the backend. However, I have not found an easy way which allows for the inclusion of standard available fields in the product description (I am not talking about special attributes via custom fields).

I know that the layout and contents of the product details page can be edited via \components\com_virtuemart\views\productdetails\tmpl\default.php.

Question: is the only way to change the contents of the product detail page to change the PHP-file? Have I perhaps missed a switch in the backend that allows for the inclusion of fields that are already standard?

(Of course I could simply add the fields to the product_desc field, via route of the Excel "&"-function and then import via MySQL or CSVI, but then I do not understand why eg product dimensions are standard fields in the backend.)

Many thanks and best regards,

Dan

jenkinhill

First http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=79799.0

Dimensions are used by some shipping plugins to determine package sizes, so are standard fields.  I believe you can use Breezing Forms to add extra fields. http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=106946.msg361076#msg361076
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

antifragile

@jenkinhill: Thank you! BreezingForms looks cool! I may not have grasped the full functionality but I have been using ChronoForms and this looks similar: a form builder. The new form basically replaces the standard one.

Now having understood the logic of some of the available fields (ie product dimensions as input for the determination of shipping costs rather than being a standard field in the frontend) I am still wondering:

• Can BreezingForms directly edit the product details page? (ChronoForms cannot as far as I know - but I can explore this myself)
  • Am I right in the assumption that changes to product details indeed only works via the editing/recoding the details.php (in the path mentioned below)?

In any case, to add this information to the product_desc via the method mentioned below is probably the easiest way and does not involve any compromises (all else via the custom fields).

Good stuff, thanks!

Regards,

Dan

Joomla 2.5.8
VM 2.0.16
PHP 5.4.9