News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

How to add customer rating/review

Started by peaceandlove, December 25, 2012, 21:48:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peaceandlove

I want to add functionality that allow any user (not necessary a customer ,not even had to logged in) can add rating (choosing from 5 stars) and adding comments about that product that will display below products. Hope you people understand what I mean to say.

Is this possible and if so how to achieve that?

brentonking

Go to Virtuemart > Configuration > Shopfront tab

On the bottom right change the options for "Shopper Review/Rating System"

That help?

jenkinhill

The options for this are that reviews can be left by:
Shoppers who bought the product
or Registered users (ie those who are logged in and may have no experience of the shopper)

There is no option for any Tom, Dick or Harry to simply visit your site and leave  reviews without at the very least, registering. This is to prevent spam attacks or disgruntled shoppers and competitors posting defamatory comments and ratings.

If you really want to do this then you either hack the core files (not recommended) or write a plugin to allow that functionality.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

sandstorm

Was this ever hacked or a plugin created?

I want Tom Dick & Harry leaving reviews for our products, but will set the review to need to be approved, to help with SPAM

I'll Keep searching
J3.6.4 / PHP7.0.12
VM3.0.16

ncopeman

Quote from: jenkinhill on December 26, 2012, 12:23:26 PM
The options for this are that reviews can be left by:
Shoppers who bought the product
or Registered users (ie those who are logged in and may have no experience of the shopper)

There is no option for any Tom, Dick or Harry to simply visit your site and leave  reviews without at the very least, registering. This is to prevent spam attacks or disgruntled shoppers and competitors posting defamatory comments and ratings.

If you really want to do this then you either hack the core files (not recommended) or write a plugin to allow that functionality.

Quite a few major online eCommerce websites allow users to post reviews without logging in. These comments are pre-moderated before publishing. The option to allow guest reviews 'and run the risk' of spamming should be left to the store owners.

I've come across many, many posts requesting guest reviews on VM. I too am one of those.

For our website, our products are also stocked by retailers (both in store and online), so many customers will buy the product outside of our website. Asking users to register in order to complete a review has been a major barrier to entry. This is part reason why we allow 'guest' checkout on our store.

It doesnt help when unregistered guests are not prompted in the language file to 'Log in or create account' in order to leave a review.... The text simply states 'No reviews have been posted'. Now as a user you ask yourself "So how do I leave a review?" with no clear answer.

In the two years the store has been live, we've had ONE review from a registered user.

Reviews are so vitally important for any online business. Allowing guest posts shouldn't be an afterthought. It's a necessity. 

dudoffvn

saraheagle

I could not see a way for customers to leave a comment at all, so I allowed everybody to be able to leave a review without logging in.

1 -make a copy of \components\com_virtuemart\views\productdetails\tmpl\default_reviews.php
2 - and put into \templates\*your-template-name*\html\com_virtuemart\productdetails

3 - open the file and under
defined('_JEXEC') or die ('Restricted access');
add   
   $this->allowRating = true;
   $this->allowReview = true;

You'll need to check to see if this file needs updating when you update VM, but it's very easy to copy the file and put the "allows" back.

dudoffvn

saraee

Quote from: saraheagle on April 28, 2017, 10:57:18 AM
I could not see a way for customers to leave a comment at all, so I allowed everybody to be able to leave a review without logging in.

1 -make a copy of \components\com_virtuemart\views\productdetails\tmpl\default_reviews.php
2 - and put into \templates\*your-template-name*\html\com_virtuemart\productdetails

3 - open the file and under
defined('_JEXEC') or die ('Restricted access');
add   
   $this->allowRating = true;
   $this->allowReview = true;

You'll need to check to see if this file needs updating when you update VM, but it's very easy to copy the file and put the "allows" back.

Does it work for others? For me it just show the comment form but it actually doesn't work.