News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Base Price showing as admin but not shopper

Started by Brody, December 14, 2012, 04:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brody

Hey guys,

Another base price question that I can't find any answers to. I had changed the language file so that "base price" would read MSRP since we are a business to business webstore only. I thought it worked fine because I was always viewing the store logged in as ADMIN.

When I log in as admin I see,

MSRP: $62.50
Your Price: $34.38

When I log in as a customer I see,

Price:
Your Price $22.50

I have been racking my brain trying to figure out what "box" I haven't clicked. Is there anyway to have it display to the customer like it displays to me, the admin???

Any help would be appreciated. I see there are a lot of price display questions on here that go unsolved. I hope this doesn't just add to that pile.

Joomla Version 2.5.2
VM Version 2.0.14

bytelord

Hello,

Yes this is normal ... base price on the fe is only disaplayed on the store administrator ... under configuration-> Pricing you could see the tool tip exclanation on each price ...
the "Price:" Is just a label ... i f you don't like it you could user some CSS to hide it: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=110466.msg370249#msg370249

Prices we normally use on the front end:

Salesprice without tax  (your price without tax)
Tax amount
Baseprice with Tax, but without discounts
Final salesprice     (Your SALES Price)
Salesprice with discount, but without override
Discount amount

You could try to check them all and test them with the front end to see what is been displayed, is the best way to understand better how prices are working

Regards
Production: Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.14 | PHP 5.3.13
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.16 | PHP 5.3.8
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 |    VM 2.1   | PHP 5.3.8

- Don't Forget to mark thread as solved when it is solved!
- Please do not PM with support questions, use the forum!

nickwiebe

This is really frustrating not being able to show the base price along with the discounted price to the customer.  Why would this not be an option.  You have a product and want to give an instant rebate but it only shows the discounted price and the discount.  I want to show the customer what the original price is, how the heck can I do this when only the administrator can do this?  The administrator is not the person I need shopping at my store.

2 thumbs down on this setup, this should be a very basic and simple to use feature in the product.

jenkinhill

The base price is the price at which goods are bought by the vendor. From this price is added the profit margin and tax (if any) using the calculation rules to give the retail price. IT is shown only to the admin on the FE so that they can check that profit etc will be OK.  This is the standard required by large stores with a constant markup, and the selling prices are automatically calculated. If required the final price shown can be overriden to make it £5.95 instead of £5.88, for example using ther price override.

In configuration/pricing, from the customer perspective the "Baseprice with Tax, but without discounts" would be the original price and the "Final salesprice" is the discounted price they pay.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

cas

After searching and reading lots of posts, I am still not able to get the pricing to display on the frontend the way I need.  I want three prices to display on the frontend: The retail price, the discount amount, and the final price where the discount has been applied.  In the product admin it seems to work perfectly.  As an example, when I enter $100 in the Cost Price field, which is my actual cost, and I have a Profit Margin calculation rule of 2x setup, the Base Price in the admin displays $200, which is correct retail price, and then I have a Discount rule setup that brings the Final Price down to $150.   This is working perfectly in the Admin.   But on the frontend, I cannot get it to display the $200 retail price.  Even when I check all the boxes in the admin configuration pricing page, it still does not display the $200 price.  It does display the $50 Discount amount and the final sale price of $150 properly, but just will not display the $200 retail price.

In a post above it says, "The base price is the price at which goods are bought by the vendor."  Assuming this statement means the field where I should enter my actual product cost, but I cannot even enter anything in the Base Price field, it is a calculated only field.  Shouldn't I enter my actual vendor cost in the Cost Price field?  So if I'm correct and the Cost Price field is my actual cost, and the Base Price is the calculated retail price before the discount is applied, then why can't we display the Base Price on the frontend? 

Thanks for the help,
Chuck

jenkinhill

Here are two examples. Using VM2.0.20 with no overrides, all prices set to display in configuration.  Base price of product £3,200 with simple profit margin added of £40 per product, VAT at 20% (all calculated from the base price).  First example shows discount achieved by price override. Second image is same product without price override but with £200 discount applied by calculation rule (I could also use %).

If I were doing this for real I would use overrides to change the layout and to price descriptions used.

[attachment cleanup by admin]
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

cas

Hi Kelvyn,

Thanks for the example.  It think it demonstrates that for websites in the US, we need another frontend price display option to be added to VM called the "Base Price" or "Retail Price", that would not have the discounts or taxes added.  In your example, it would be the Base Price $3240 that we need to display for US websites as the retail price.  The problem with the frontend display option of "Base price with tax" for US websites is that we cannot calculate tax until the user is registered and logged in, because we have different tax rates for each county within each state, and if the customer doesn't live in our state, then there is no tax to be collected from that customer at all.  So to display "Base Price with Tax" on the product details page does not make sense for US websites.  We usually only show the Tax amount in the shopping cart when the user is logged in, and if tax is to be applied based on their shipping address.

And I agree with you that we only want the Cost Price to be displayed on the frontend when an admin is logged in, but in the admin configuration for pricing, the label is "Baseprice" and the tooltip says "it could be the Cost Price or the calculated price", but since we need the option to display the Base Price in the US as the Retail Price, why not have this as two separate options, one for Cost Price if Admin is logged in, and another one for the Base Price for everyone to see? 

So to sum up my post, we need another option added to display the Base Price on the frontend for all users, (which would be the result of the Cost Price with Profit Margin calculations added, but without discounts and taxes added).  Basically, this Base Price result would be the Retail Price, so maybe use Retail Price as the label if you think that makes more sense than Base Price? 

By the way, as a test I checked the box to display the "Base Price with Tax" just to see what would display on the frontend, but nothing displays?  I attached a screenshot of my product admin pricing page so you can see what I have entered.  I need the $2775 Base Price to be displayed on the frontend as the Retail Price. 

FYI, I am using VM 2.0.20.

Thanks,
Chuck   

cas

Any update on our requirement for US sites to display Base Price without Tax?

naoko15

Hello, is there any solution for this? i need the base price being shown to guests and shoppers as well. Is it possible to do it? How? Please, it is very important!

Thanks a lot

Using VM2.0.12f and J2.5

cas

Any update on when the Base Price without tax will be available?     I need to update my customer on the status.

Thanks,
Chuck

cas

Any update on when the Base Price without tax will be available?

chrlar

I don't mean to interfer, but I just solved my logged in / logged out price problem:
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=114078.0

That is, if I was not logged in (front end) it displayed the price without vat tax.
And if I logged in (front end) the price was right, with vat tax (and also specifying the tax).

Then we removed the shopper group we had added in the tax & calculation rule, and that did it.

Could this be useful information for your problem?

:)

cas

Hi chrlar,

In the USA this is not a bug, but a missing display feature for the product detail page.  We need the product admin to have one additional price display option added to allow us to display the Base Price without tax, regardless if the user is logged in or not.  In the USA we do not show tax on the product detail page.   We only show tax in the shopping cart when the user is logged in and we can determine if any tax is due, and if tax is due, then which tax % to apply based on the state & county location of the store.

Any update from the VM team when this price display option will be added? 

Thanks,
Chuck   

herek

Quote from: jenkinhill on February 13, 2013, 18:48:33 PM
The base price is the price at which goods are bought by the vendor. From this price is added the profit margin and tax (if any) using the calculation rules to give the retail price. IT is shown only to the admin on the FE so that they can check that profit etc will be OK.  This is the standard required by large stores with a constant markup, and the selling prices are automatically calculated. If required the final price shown can be overriden to make it £5.95 instead of £5.88, for example using ther price override.

In configuration/pricing, from the customer perspective the "Baseprice with Tax, but without discounts" would be the original price and the "Final salesprice" is the discounted price they pay.

Hello, this is the Cost price, not base price. I agree that the admin does not want the Cost Price to be shown, but base price is the price that all starts to the customer. After this base price, it will apply tax, discount, etc and create the Final price.

Is there any way to show WAS: US$ 1,000.00  NOW: US$ 800.00.

Thank you

cas

Quote from: herek on April 05, 2013, 16:48:08 PM
Hello, this is the Cost price, not base price. I agree that the admin does not want the Cost Price to be shown, but base price is the price that all starts to the customer. After this base price, it will apply tax, discount, etc and create the Final price.

Is there any way to show WAS: US$ 1,000.00  NOW: US$ 800.00.

Thank you

Yes, this is exactly what everyone in the US needs. 

VM Team, any update as to when the option to show Base Price without tax or discount will be available? 

Thanks