News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

UK shipping module (Royal Mail/Parcelforce/couriers)

Started by speleo, July 31, 2005, 00:50:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

speleo

I've been looking for a UK shipping module for Royal Mail, Parcel Force and the usual supects but can't find anything out there that is not for fee.

There must be a host of shops out there in the UK who ship. Do you just use Shipping Rates or is there another option?

Also, what exactly does a shipping module do that shipping rates can't?

Soeren

Hello,

I can't tell you if there are UK-Shipping Modules for mambo-phpShop (apparently not), but Shipping Modules fetch their rate live from a Shipper Server. That gives dynamic rates and you don't need to adjust shipping rates or care for them manually...as you would have to do when using the fixed Shipping Rates from the Standard Shipping Module.

ciao, Soeren
The future of eCommerce: VirtueMart & Joomla!
http://virtuemart.net

ssm

I too would love a shipping module for Royal Mail, Parcel Force etc.

speleo, did you find a solution?

speleo

ssm - no. The project went on hold for a number of reasons but I'd still like to use one if it is available.

ssm

Yeah, I think more UK configurations would be usefull with mambp-phpshop, btw, how are you taking orders, I hope to manually process the orders but capture CC info from the site, the only problem I have so far is with accepting Switch since this card requires a Valid From Date.

Lee

nzeone

Quote from: ssm on September 24, 2005, 20:32:27 PM
I too would love a shipping module for Royal Mail, Parcel Force etc.

speleo, did you find a solution?

Me too  :-\

willowtree

I think the issue here is more that as far as I know Royal Mail don't have an online system to 'plug' into. Most US based companies to, eg ups, fedex, and i believe usps.

Royal Mail don't think they have to offer anything like that, they can just do what they like and tough if anyone wants anything else.

I use smartstamp which is thier closest thing and it's useless. I bet a teenager could create a better system in a school project.

sorry - personal bugbear.

QuoteI hope to manually process the orders but capture CC info from the site, the only problem I have so far is with accepting Switch since this card requires a Valid From Date.

You will need to check with who your payment processor is as to whether they allow this. I have a terminal and merchant account with Streamline who won't allow me to use this method, I have to use an online processor, Worldpay to process the cards therefore I  never store the details. In a way I prefer it as it means I don't have to worry that if my site is compromised credit card details might be lost etc. I'd be interested to know if you have a system that allows you to to this though as my fees on the instore terminal are much better than online.
Please add your VM and Joomla Version to your signature to make it easier to help you:

Most of my code posted in the forum is for VirtueMart 1.0  -  not for 1.1

tunilove

Hi  well  i mange to use the shipping rate module  witch is  Standard Shipping Module
when i  add the royal mail  rates  all ok  i add them in thihs  way 

Create  New  Shiper  Called  ROYAL MAIL UK  after i add rates  as below    Shipping Rate: ROYAL MAIL UK; Special Delivery NEXT DAY >0.5Kg; £4.80;

but the  problem is  here  how to set  Post code the system accept  only  number  from 1  to  99   but  the  UK post code  are   mixed  letter and number    any help   how to sort this  ....  when i try to order  and put post code  for ex :  HK2 6HX   i get error    but  if i put  post code  46702  all ok   

Sean Goodwin

Have you tried using zones ? Most couriers in the UK use zone shipping linked to level of shipping. You would need to select a courier and ask them for a list of the postcodes for each zone. This is usually NE for North East or B1 for Birmingham etc. Create a map of the UK zoned by postcode list and set up a shipper name for each zone ie APC - Zone 1 Next Day, APC Zone 1 2 to 3 Days, APC Zone 2 Next Day and so on. You have to trust your clients to pick the right area but most are usually truthful.

I'm sure someone out there could program a postcode table linked to zone area with a lookup on the postcode field of the customer.

It can be laborious to update if their is a rate change but less so if you choose fewer shipping levels.

Hope this helps
Yes, I think it's fair to say I liked Andy from the start.

jmds

Hi Tunilov,

Quotebut the  problem is  here  how to set  Post code the system accept  only  number  from 1  to  99   but  the  UK post code  are   mixed  letter and number    any help   how to sort this  ....  when i try to order  and put post code  for ex :  HK2 6HX   i get error    but  if i put  post code  46702  all ok

Can you post the version of Virtuemart you are using. I am just looking at the royal mail rates for a couple of clients and I can enter post codes like HK2 6HX.

It would be nice if the Royal Mail had an online solution for this as their system is quite complex. Although I pity the person who tries to link to it. I will stick with my  system for now.

guilliam

Quote from: jmds on May 15, 2007, 23:59:30 PM
Hi Tunilov,

Quotebut the  problem is  here  how to set  Post code the system accept  only  number  from 1  to  99   but  the  UK post code  are   mixed  letter and number    any help   how to sort this  ....  when i try to order  and put post code  for ex :  HK2 6HX   i get error    but  if i put  post code  46702  all ok

Can you post the version of Virtuemart you are using. I am just looking at the royal mail rates for a couple of clients and I can enter post codes like HK2 6HX.

It would be nice if the Royal Mail had an online solution for this as their system is quite complex. Although I pity the person who tries to link to it. I will stick with my  system for now.

what system are you using for now? if oyu don tmind me asking(as an alternative to royal mail).

- g
"I was one of those who wondered why people would pay so much $$$$ to do something that was so much fun!" -R. Harkrider, Fortran Code Engr.
^^If u read that in $GREEN, Argh!! u missed the HIGHLIGHTS and all the FUN!
www.joomlaconsultancy.net  |  www.astang.com

alternatees

Hi all, I manage to get my shipping in the uk workin, by changing the states into countries and using the countries a s postal zones i.e uk, europe, and rest of world, i had to add another user field for counties, my problem is now getting it all to show up correctly in the packing slip, as it keeps calling up the w or 3 state \ country codes.

the postage for the uk is a bit of a nightmare, there has to a module for royal mail out there somewhere......
Joomla 1.5.3
irtuemart 1.10

ralphonz

Hi,

I'm not sure i understand how to get any of this configured properly.  My shipping methods don't show up in the frontend and I'm sure this is due to a misconfiguration somewhere?

What do i enter in the fields for zip codes in the shipping rates?

Why isn't there a royal mail shipping module, that would make life so much easier!