News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

2 or more customers can checkout a single stock in inventory

Started by jj29er, December 02, 2012, 04:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jj29er

Stock control only counts the stock after a customer confirms an item but not before, so I had a situation where 4 customers managed to checkout one item and I oversold by 3. Is it possible to 'reserve' the stock for customer when he adds to cart so that nobody else can add for the time being?

CE WebDesign München

+1
reserving would be great, should be added to the wishlist
CE WebDesign München: https://ce-webdesign.de | Websites, eCommerce WebShops | Responsive Design | SEO

Milbo

This is done already. The question is why it does not work for you. If you do not believe, go in your product status and there you see two stock values, one of it is for booked items.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

CE WebDesign München

Wow, thanks for the info, no problem in my case, just stumbled upon, liked the idea, had no answer and ... posted (in case it got overseen) without looking into it myself, really sorry for that (vm2.0.16d+j2.0.8)

hope it helps jj29er (and others on how not to post)
CE WebDesign München: https://ce-webdesign.de | Websites, eCommerce WebShops | Responsive Design | SEO

jj29er

Hi Milbo thanks for your reply.

Does Booked,ordered products kick in when a customer adds it to shopping bag or when the customer checks out?

kd5cna

I have the most recent virtuemart 2.018a installed and the stock control does not seem to be functioning as I think it is intended. Products keep overselling when multiple customers are attempting to make purchases at the same time. I tested this myself by logging in as two different users at the same time. I had both users add the full available stock of items to their own cart. When user #1 confirms the purchase, the "booked" stock does change in virtuemart. However, user #2 is still able then to confirm their purchase as well, thereby selling more product than was available. It seems to me as if the final confirm stage of checkout is not checking against the booked stock. Thanks for any insight anyone may have!

rlanzone

Quote from: kd5cna on February 01, 2013, 05:10:53 AM
I have the most recent virtuemart 2.018a installed and the stock control does not seem to be functioning as I think it is intended. Products keep overselling when multiple customers are attempting to make purchases at the same time. I tested this myself by logging in as two different users at the same time. I had both users add the full available stock of items to their own cart. When user #1 confirms the purchase, the "booked" stock does change in virtuemart. However, user #2 is still able then to confirm their purchase as well, thereby selling more product than was available. It seems to me as if the final confirm stage of checkout is not checking against the booked stock. Thanks for any insight anyone may have!

The latest version of Virtuemart is now v2.0.20b - does anyone know if the above described behavior has been fixed in 2.0.20b?

Ehwaz

I am in the process of testing Virtuemart to see if it meets my client's needs. I am using 2.0.20b.

In searching for a solution to some problems regarding stock control I found this thread. I can't be sure if I simply missed a setting or if Virtuemart won't mange the stock correctly.

My client sells clearance merchandise and has low quantities available.  I did the same test as above and was disappointed. My test data had 2 items in stock. I used two test customers on different browsers purchase 2 of the items each. I checked the one "customer" out and then checked the other one.  I ended up with 2 items in stock and 4 items booked.

I think there needs to be a final check before the credit card (or other final process) is done.

jsneo

Hi, I'm facing the same issue in VM2.0.20b. In additional, I also realised that using the same user account, I am able to add the same item multiple times to cart in the same session thus being able to over-order by multiple times the current stock level. This is very worrying as hostile visitors may make use of this loophole.

p.s: I'm very surprised at the slient treatment from VM development team given the severity of the issue.

RolandT

Hi!
Same problem here. I have a shop that sells handcrafts (products are stocked in low numbers, often just one) and even with the latest Virtuemart (version 2.0.22a) it is possible to over-order by multiple times the current stock level. After searching the forum I found a topic where Milbo is saying:
QuoteI think this problem is already solved for 2.1 makes not really sense to fix this in vm2.0.x, because the error is the not updated quantity imho.

That's in "VM2.018a BUG? Stock control not fully working" http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=112639.0

So I guess we have to wait until VM 2.1 is released or use some 3rd party extension, like "Locking products" plugin for VM:
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=115980.0

Correct me if I'm wrong...