News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

[ SOLVED ] Backtrack calculation like Virtuemart 1

Started by Makis77, November 30, 2012, 22:54:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makis77

I just installed VM 2.0.14 and I noticed(I know for sure I m not the only one) that VAT calculation has been changed.

Lets say I add a tax rule of 15% and I enter the cost price as 10 euro then product price in frontend is 11.5 euro when it should be 10 euro.
VM 1 used to calculate tax FROM the input price of a product but VM 2 seems to add VAT to the price entered in the backend.

Every time we create a product we input the price that we are going to sell to our clients and not the vat-less price.

Is this Backtrack calculation an option anywhere?

bytelord

Hello,

In VM 2 you can do both...
When adding a product price you can just enter the file price and check the option "calculate cost price".
Also there are many options inside calculations rules that you can do many things.
Wheres your issues?

Regards
Production: Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.14 | PHP 5.3.13
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.16 | PHP 5.3.8
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 |    VM 2.1   | PHP 5.3.8

- Don't Forget to mark thread as solved when it is solved!
- Please do not PM with support questions, use the forum!

Makis77

Ya sou Niko, thanks for the reply.

Issues are user based, interface is not so clear for simple users in order to add new products and their prices.
If I m correct that means I have to set a tax rule(+23%), then add product price under "Final Price" and check "Calculate the costprice" option.

Is there a more direct way so that users can add the price with VAT so that frontend will show that price and its vat?

bytelord

Geia sou Maki,

i am afraid atm is the only way to do it. Enter final price, calculate cost.

Regards

Makis77

Before creating this topic I read the following
Quote from: Milbo on October 13, 2011, 11:02:56 AM
Backtrack calculation does not work yet. But we plan to make it possible, but maybe as plugin or so.

That was 1 yr ago but as it seems we're still waiting.

bytelord

Hi,

but what i tell you is backtrack calculation !!
Place the final price and check calculate cost price!!

Where is your issue?? The backtrack calculation you are refer to is there, you ask for a faster way, because is one click further does not mean that is not there! Some people uses the alternative and should exist both ways, please make some more tests first and then fill free to ask.

Regards

Makis77

I did make tests and I did understand that this could be used as a backtrack calculation only its not the default option.
I've read a topic that included a poll related to this and I understood that its hard to make things better than they r now regarding how pricing and vat calculation works.

bytelord

Hi,

Yes, but you post a Quote from one year back claiming that backtrack calculation is not there, as you repeat it also, instead in my previous posts i said how this can be done. This is what resentment me (in case you filling i am rude), most of the users need the cost price be default and backtrack calculation be an option.  For small shops i run also is an issue but ...
Is how is working the price case/scenario. Other users does not use tax at all, or they apply tax after the registration or during checkout, also taxes can be different in each country or per shopper group or a mix of them. As you understand for all those needs the cost and many more, price as primary. Also if a safe way to big shops to calculate your profit margins as a vendor.
I have seen shops running at 10 countries, the same shop which have different tax systems, e.g in Europe we have vat tax for example (as Greece) but different tax amount based on % per country, in other countries they use tax per bill not tax per product which this is different too. Last in such cases EE countries are not paying tax for transactions between EE country members (http://europa.eu/legislation_summaries/taxation/l31057_el.htm) that also can be done with VM2.

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=99127.0

Regards

Makis77

Niko obviously there is some logic behind this move even though not adding backtrack from the beginning tells me that this change wasn't calculated enough and that can't be reversed at least for now.

Either way thanks for your help and replies.

bytelord

Maki,

Yes, because the "scope" is not the final price ... is the initial price and from then you have all your calculation :)

A comment i can is that Virtuemart 2 is looking forward and not looking backward (as backtrack heh)

You can work great with VM2, for Greek Shop needs is very simple and effective. One guy using virtuemart 2 ask's me to make default option the "Calculate the costprice", i did it ... one month after asks me to remove it because some of his vendors was sending cost prices without vat, so he have's to calculate his profit margin first and then add tax and was confused, now he adds only cost prices, after profit margin in % is automatic calculated from calculation rules, then the tax 21%, then shipment costs, etc during checkout. Now he is able to know exactly his profit margin and add only one cost price :)

If you want to make auto selected the option calculate cost price when adding/editing products i am suggesting you the following change on the core (hack as usually said):

Inside file administrator\components\com_virtuemart\views\product\tmpl\product_edit_information.php around line 219 in version 2.0.14 you will find the following code:

<td > <input type="checkbox" name="use_desired_price" value="1" />

Change it to:

<td >     <input checked="checked" type="checkbox" name="use_desired_price" value="1" />

Hopefully helps you out :)

Fill free to ask anything else you want. Also please read that useful introduction post installing and using vm2: http://www.ostraining.com/blog/joomla/virtuemart/

Best Regards

Nikos

bytelord

btw, if you make your tax rule "default" then is auto selected for all products without the need to be selected each time

Regards