News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Undo An Update

Started by Sleeping410, November 15, 2012, 21:45:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sleeping410

The person helping me with my website upgraded the VM installation 2.0.6 to the 2.0.12b. The website was relatively new, just completed the upload of products, so there isn't a backup. Can I just install 2.0.6 again or will I lose all of my work? Any help is greatly appreciated.

16vmini

Sleeping410

The template is not compatible with the update. My biggest problem is the checkout doesn't work.

PRO

Quote from: Sleeping410 on November 15, 2012, 22:44:03 PM
The template is not compatible with the update. My biggest problem is the checkout doesn't work.

have you contacted the template maker?

what is it doing?

Sleeping410

They said I would have to go back to 2.0.6 because the template wasn't compatible with the new updates.

As far as what it's doing, the toggle view button no longer works, it shows all 3 product views on the same page.
A lot of the images aren't displayed correctly any longer.
The cart page changed some of the headers and some of the buttons no longer work.
You can no longer select a payment method.
The comment sections now shows "Please write your recommendation....(min. %s, max. %s characters)"

These errors started showing in the error logs:
20121115T140144: www.mybathsafety.com/index.php
PHP Strict Standards:  Declaration of VirtueMartControllerProductdetails::display() should be compatible with that of JController::display() in /hermes/bosoraweb082/b1570/ipg.mybathsafetycom/components/com_virtuemart/controllers/productdetails.php on line 31
PHP Strict Standards:  Declaration of VirtueMartModelProduct::store() should be compatible with that of VmModel::store() in /hermes/bosoraweb082/b1570/ipg.mybathsafetycom/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/models/product.php on line 1613
PHP Strict
20121115T140158: www.mybathsafety.com/administrator/index.php
PHP Strict Standards:  Only variables should be passed by reference in /hermes/bosoraweb082/b1570/ipg.mybathsafetycom/administrator/components/com_config/models/application.php on line 260
PHP Notice:  Undefined variable: prev in /hermes/bosoraweb082/b1570/ipg.mybathsafetycom/administrator/components/com_config/models/application.php on line 267

Template Monster said that I would have to go back to 2.0.6 or they couldn't support the template.

PRO

I could not imagine going back to  2.0.6

Its WAAY outdated

There have been so many bug fixes since.

Sleeping410

I know almost nothing about this but that was my exact thought. I can't imagine a template that "cannot" be upgraded. I don't understand why they can't follow the changes the upgrade makes and adjust the template accordingly. But, they say it can't be done.

jenkinhill

Anybody with just a little experience can update the overrides, just a case of working back through the live update information pages - see http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=108820.msg364234#msg364234

There are even pictures of the changes, eg com_virtuemart.2.0.12_layout_changes.zip  from  http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/files

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Sleeping410

So, you're saying if I follow those steps and make the changes that my template will work with the latest version?

16vmini

jenkinhill

Quote from: Sleeping410 on November 15, 2012, 23:40:15 PM
So, you're saying if I follow those steps and make the changes that my template will work with the latest version?

Unless you try it you will never know. There may also be .js overrides as well.

The "errors" shown in the logs are really advisory from PHP 5.3, not major issues, and could be turned off in php.ini

You are really highlighting the problem people can run into by using commercial templates from a business such as TM, where support is virtually non-existent. 
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum