[bug] Product Description cannot be translated in other language

Started by balai, November 12, 2012, 11:19:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

balai

Hi

The Product Description cannot be translated in other languages.

I m trying to have it in English and Greek but it always displays the English one although the language in the product is Greek.
Do note: The product name is translated correctly, the problem occurs only in the description fields

Version:2.0.12f

balai

Do you have any idea on how to resolve that as the whole project is going back because of that?

balai

bytelord

@balai

I am using 2.0.14 for greek/english shop and is working, i don't know about yours, strange.
Did you try to login in the be with greek language and edit your product description?
Production: Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.14 | PHP 5.3.13
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.16 | PHP 5.3.8
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 |    VM 2.1   | PHP 5.3.8

- Don't Forget to mark thread as solved when it is solved!
- Please do not PM with support questions, use the forum!

balai

Looking deeper i realized that the description is stored normally in the db also in other languages.

What happens in the VM's backend, is that it always shows the description in the language which is set as default in the site, no matter which is the selected language inside the VM product form.

This is certainly a bug.

jjk

Quote from: balai on November 30, 2012, 10:06:32 AM
This is certainly a bug.

I'm shure its not a bug :-), but a problem that many others already had because their site (frontend) language was not set to their primary language when VirtueMart was configured for multilanguage. As a result you are probably storing your translation in the wrong language table.

This is the procedure you have to follow when you want a multilanguage setup: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=104901.0
And here are some hints how make corrections if you didn't follow this procedure (there are several similar treads concerning this problem in the forum):
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=95970.msg317893#msg317893

BTW - I have a bilingual VM2 shop with almost 600 translated product descriptions and my experience is that VM2 never had a "translation bug". ALWAYS has been working nicely for me in all VM 2 versions.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

balai

Hi

I appreciate your help.
Although i have followed all those steps. There are 2 languages installed in joomla and 2 lang set as content languages.
In the VM configuration the shop is set as multilingual with 2 languages.

Everything is stored in the correct db tables:
#__virtuemart_products_el_gr (Greek)
#__virtuemart_products_en_gb (English)

I see all the translations here including the description.

The problem is that the product's description is displayed only in the default site's language, ignoring the selected language from the drop-down in the product form.
Do note: his happens only with the product's description

I m getting the same problem in other test sites i have.

If you like i can give you access to check it on your own. Maybe i m missing something

jjk

Quote from: balai on November 30, 2012, 11:50:05 AM
The problem is that the product's description is displayed only in the default site's language, ignoring the selected language from the drop-down in the product form.

Perhaps you can make a small test. Create a new product in your default language (Greek I suppose), write "This is greek" in the title and in the description and save it. Then switch language to english and write "This is english" and save the english description. Thereafter check if the greek and english descriptions are stored in their correct database table.
If yes, both versions should show up in the VM backend of course when you switch languages. If they just don't switch in the frontend, you might have a Joomla language configuration problem.

Did you try the "Multilanguage Status" module in Joomla already? If not, go to 'Extensions' - 'Module Manager' - switch from site to administrator in the filter dropdown list and publish 'Multilingual Status'. Thereafter you can click on "Multilanguage Status' in the upper right menu line. Everything should be green there.

bytelord

Hello all,

Also please give a try to change your Editor in case that using JCE ... try Tiny MCE at the moment

Regards

balai

Finally it was the editor.

Changing from JCE to tinyMCE solved the problem.
Possibly there is some cache in the jce that fethces the same data

jjk

I forgot to mention JCE, because recent versions do work for me. Maybe you were using an old version (VM2 support was added by Ryan in June, if I remember correctly).

bytelord

Yeap,

Was an issue with the dashes ... was removing dashes and could not bring the right translation. i think also is fixed now as jjk said.

Regards

balai