News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Build a Product from Parts, Construct the SKU and Adjust Inventory

Started by cmb, November 07, 2012, 04:00:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmb

Scenario
The customer will select parts to configure a product. One option from part A, another option from part B and so on. Each component part has a unique SKU. The SKU of the full device comprises the SKUs of the individual parts. (For instance, BASE7-A27-B59.) When the customer is finished choosing the individual parts, the purchase is made and the inventory quantities of the components are modified.

I can't build products in VirtueMart for all the hundreds of combinations. The customers would be overwhelmed. I thought about cart variants but there is no option for SKUs.

Is this scenario possible in VirtueMart?

VirtueMart 2.0.12f, Joomla 2.5.7
Charles

PolishedGeek

What you could look into is using Product Builder,  since you need the component inventory to be adjusted and aren't trying to create a new final item. You'd have to have it modified to create those SKU fields for you to place on the order though. I'd look into starting with that and then getting a qualified developer to customize it for you.

Product Builder: http://breakdesigns.net/virtuemart-product-builder
~ Deb Cinkus, CEO
Polished Geek, LLC   |    www.PolishedGeek.com

Creators of JoomLister - eBay Lister for Joomla!

cmb

Quote from: PolishedGeek on November 07, 2012, 04:40:41 AM
What you could look into is using Product Builder,  since you need the component inventory to be adjusted and aren't trying to create a new final item. You'd have to have it modified to create those SKU fields for you to place on the order though.
I thought of that extension. There's no indication on their Website that it handles SKUs nor inventory. I sent them an inquiry email.
QuoteI'd look into starting with that and then getting a qualified developer to customize it for you.
That would be me.
If it comes down to that, I'd seriously consider another ecommerce solution, especially given all the problems with setting up child products in VirtueMart and the sad state of V2 documentation.
Charles

PolishedGeek

I'm not aware of any other Joomla eCommerce extension that will do what you describe out of the box. You might be able to do this with some customization to redSHOP, perhaps.
~ Deb Cinkus, CEO

cmb

Quote from: PolishedGeek on November 07, 2012, 17:11:33 PM
You might be able to do this with some customization to redSHOP, perhaps.
I had written off redSHOP because of the bad reviews and reports of buggy software. I'll take another look.
Charles

balai

I don't think that you will find a better solution than Product Builder.
Such an extension does not exist in most ecommerce solutions

cmb

Quote from: balai on November 08, 2012, 09:50:41 AM
I don't think that you will find a better solution than Product Builder.
That might be the case. Unfortunately the use of Product Builder to fit my needs will require software customizations including core hacks. (/administrator/component/ files cannot be overridden.)
Charles

PolishedGeek

@cmb - I sent you a PM with a suggestion of something else you might want to look into
~ Deb Cinkus, CEO

robert

Quote from: PolishedGeek on November 12, 2012, 20:23:22 PM
@cmb - I sent you a PM with a suggestion of something else you might want to look into

Why did you PM that - Would be nice to know what it was

PolishedGeek

Because this is a thread for a specific product (Product Builder). I thought it would be not-quite-so-nice to post links to what else one might buy instead, right in the product owner's post. I wouldn't want someone to do that to me when I'm posting about something we sell!  :)
~ Deb Cinkus, CEO

jorg.vgp

Quote from: PolishedGeek on December 07, 2012, 00:46:57 AM
Because this is a thread for a specific product (Product Builder). I thought it would be not-quite-so-nice to post links to what else one might buy instead, right in the product owner's post. I wouldn't want someone to do that to me when I'm posting about something we sell!  :)
Could you send me that... Please. May be of interest.

Thank you in advance.

balai