Author Topic: Virtuemart UPS shipping over 150lbs  (Read 5930 times)

Boston123

• Beginner
Virtuemart UPS shipping over 150lbs
« on: October 30, 2012, 04:18:57 am »
My VirtueMart 1.1.8 site sells products that weight up to 80 pounds.
I'm using the default UPS shipping module.
I initially ran into a problem were I was seeing any sale with a weight greater than 70lbs to show a zero shipping cost. After searching through the forums I found a code change that seemed to fix this.
UPS has a limit of 150lbs. Anything over that is considered freight. I thought my problems with shipping were now addressed because I didn't have any individual products exceeding 150lbs. Sadly I was wrong.
The UPS shipping module returns a shipping cost against the combined weight of all products in the shopping cart.
If one 80lb product is in my cart the shipping cost is $40.
If two 80lb products are in my cart the shipping cost is for one 150lb item. Shipping cost is $75
No matter how many more products added to my cart above 150lbs, the cost will never go above $75.
How can I have individual shipping charges added across every product in my cart?
So if an 80lb product costs $40 to ship, if I have 2 in my cart, shipping will be $80.
3 in cart is $120, 4 in cart $160... etc...
A supported extension for this would be great. I've been looking with no luck.
I prefer it to be supported so it doesn't hold me back from upgrading to the latest Virtuemart.
Can anyone please help here?

ryandiaz

• Beginner
  • VirtueMart Version: 1.1.6 Stable
Re: Virtuemart UPS shipping over 150lbs
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2013, 16:51:11 pm »
To fix this problem, you are going to want to use the UPS v.2 shipping module created by Reggie Campbell.   www.lowmips.com

I personally use Joomla 1.5.22 with Virtuemart v.1.1.6 along with UPS module v.2.2011.01.13

After you install and integrate this shipping module into your site, your products gain an extra checkbox in the admin area:  "Ships separately? [ ]"

For every product that has this box checked, it will be treated as a new box with its own weight - instead of an accumulated weight.  Naturally you'll want to simply check this box for EVERY product you sell.  The way I did that was using mySQL, access the Virtuemart database, and run a search/replace for that field.  If you need help doing the mySQL part let me know.

Joomla 1.5.22 | Virtuemart 1.1.6 Stable | PHP 5.3.13

fungal.style

• Beginner
Re: Virtuemart UPS shipping over 150lbs
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2014, 01:42:20 am »
My VirtueMart 1.1.8 site sells products that weight up to 80 pounds.
I'm using the default UPS shipping module.
I initially ran into a problem were I was seeing any sale with a weight greater than 70lbs to show a zero shipping cost. After searching through the forums I found a code change that seemed to fix this.
UPS has a limit of 150lbs. Anything over that is considered freight. I thought my problems with shipping were now addressed because I didn't have any individual products exceeding 150lbs. Sadly I was wrong.
The UPS shipping module returns a shipping cost against the combined weight of all products in the shopping cart.
If one 80lb product is in my cart the shipping cost is $40.
If two 80lb products are in my cart the shipping cost is for one 150lb item. Shipping cost is $75
No matter how many more products added to my cart above 150lbs, the cost will never go above $75.
How can I have individual shipping charges added across every product in my cart?
So if an 80lb product costs $40 to ship, if I have 2 in my cart, shipping will be $80.
3 in cart is $120, 4 in cart $160... etc...
A supported extension for this would be great. I've been looking with no luck.
I prefer it to be supported so it doesn't hold me back from upgrading to the latest Virtuemart.
Can anyone please help here?

Change the PHP file:
\web\administrator\components\com_virtuemart\classes\shipping\standard_shipping.php

Change file from:
            $total_shipping_handling <=75 ? $total_shipping_handling = $total_shipping_handling : $total_shipping_handling = 75 ;

to:
   $total_shipping_handling <=7500 ? $total_shipping_handling = $total_shipping_handling : $total_shipping_handling = 7500 ;