News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Multi-level Custom fields Cart Variant

Started by bmw2182, October 28, 2012, 02:18:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bmw2182

I am using Joomla 2.5.7 and Virtuemart 2.0.12.f.  I'm working a website that sells painting.

I have all my paintings setup with Custom Fields so that if they click on the painting then they can order a print in various sizes - and it works for the most part. The issue I have is they can't click the first item in the drop down box until they select one further down and then can go back.  Shouldn't they be able to select the first one from the drop down menu?

Then I have one special painting that framing is an option.

I have the main product set up as Duck Stamp. 
Then I have 3 children - 1. 6.5 X 10 Print, 2 - 12 X 18 Print, or 3. 13 X 20 Giclee'

If they choose one of the above, let's say they pick the 6.5 X 10 print  - it goes to that screen.  Can we then have another drop down that has frames
ie
1. Mahogany - with a Matte
2. Mahogany - with out a Matte
3. Gold with a Matte
4. Gold without a Matte   etc?

I have tried to add another custom field without success. 

Can I have Mahogany - with a Matte, Mahogany - with out a Matte, Gold with a Matte and Gold without a Matte setup as children under 6.5 X 10 Print - and only show up if that item is picked.  I have tried without success and I'm not sure if it can be done........any advice would be appreciated!

Also has anybody found a way to force the order of the child products? They seem to be random - I've tried sorting on Product Sku, Alias, weight - some will work, but not all.

PolishedGeek

We might have an alternative solution that will solve the problems you are encountering with custom fields. It sounds like you need conditional, inter-dependent fields and we have an extension that can do that.  But first, a few questions:

Do you actually need to track stock by any of these size or framing options?

Are you using child products because you need individual SKUs and inventory, or just because you want the different pricing and options for the different sizes?

~ Deb Cinkus, CEO
Polished Geek, LLC   |    www.PolishedGeek.com

Creators of JoomLister - eBay Lister for Joomla!

bmw2182

We do not need to track inventory.  I am only using child products for the different pricing options.  We didn't want to have the main price and then add certain amounts for the different sizes.  I could be interested in your extension......

PolishedGeek

It does sound like our extension might help you. It offers a viable workaround for many custom field frustrations, as long as you don't need parent/child products. We created a new extension was built for a much larger purpose, but it can also easily solve many custom field challenges like yours, where you want to have interdependent conditional options.

What we have is an extension that seamlessly integrates a completely custom Crosstec Breezing Form into the custom field area of a VirtueMart 2 product. Because BreezingForms is a fully featured form development component, this means that you can do all those great things you expect from best selling form design software,  then use that form as the way to capture product options and attributes for a VM2 product.

And of course, because you are using a form design component, you can control the way the fields depend on each other almost any way you want.

If you think this sounds like it might help you, here's a link to our documentation to learn more: http://docs.polishedgeek.com/wiki/display/BFCUSTOM . There's a also a YouTube video there on the doc homepage that explains it a bit more.

We have a simple demo page here: http://klarna.polishedgeekdev.com/index.php/shop/eyeglasses/awesome-eyeglasses-detail  (still working on a demo site with several different products and examples)

You can learn more about the form component our extension integrates here: Crosstec BreezingForms http://crosstec.de/en/extensions/joomla-forms-download.html   (You have to have both VM2 and BreezingForms to use our extension).

I'm happy to answer any questions you have. Feel free to pose them in the forum here, or if you would prefer to discuss your requirements more privately, just open a ticket: https://polishedgeek.com/clients/submitticket.php?step=2&deptid=3

Let me know if you think this might be helpful for you!  :)
~ Deb Cinkus, CEO
Polished Geek, LLC   |    www.PolishedGeek.com

Creators of JoomLister - eBay Lister for Joomla!

bmw2182

Thanks for the information, but for this one we really need the parent/child products. I will keep it in mind if I do any others.

PetreZo

Hi everybody!

I need help with the multiple prices-box. I created 4 price for each product and entering the products separately I can see them. But on my page I created a product list (Flat Product List, 1 product per row) with Name, Photo, Description and Price category columns. My question is, how can I put the multiple price box in this listing mode for selecting the individual prices without entering the products.
I am attaching an image to see what I am talking about.

http://img15.picoodle.com/i5at/petrez/hjk9_096_u51f2.jpg

Thanks