News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Categories possible in horizontal submenu?

Started by bluezeyes, January 15, 2015, 00:24:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bluezeyes

Good evening,

Is it possible to have the main product categories as horizontal submenu ?

I use the template protostar and would like to have the categories under Main entry "Shop" in my main menu.

But when i select "VM category view" It wont show up as 2nd-level menu, instead its calling the common category page..
I know, when i create the Menupoints manually it work, but this is not the goal because it should work automatic.. that a menupoint is visible when in backend its published and vice versa.

Do anyone know an extension (preferred free) or give me a not to detailed howto for this?

Edith: Forgot to mention...

Virtuemart 3.0.3
Joomla 3.3.6

Kind regards,

bluezeyes

cjcatalano

Did you ever figure this out?

Quote from: bluezeyes on January 15, 2015, 00:24:04 AM
Good evening,

Is it possible to have the main product categories as horizontal submenu ?

I use the template protostar and would like to have the categories under Main entry "Shop" in my main menu.

But when i select "VM category view" It wont show up as 2nd-level menu, instead its calling the common category page..
I know, when i create the Menupoints manually it work, but this is not the goal because it should work automatic.. that a menupoint is visible when in backend its published and vice versa.

Do anyone know an extension (preferred free) or give me a not to detailed howto for this?

Edith: Forgot to mention...

Virtuemart 3.0.3
Joomla 3.3.6

Kind regards,

bluezeyes

balai

cjcatalano

Thanks. Maybe this could work if we created a custom module position above the component and created a category search. Not sure, will have to experiment. It would be so much easier is VM had a built in category menu, just like it has a manufacturer menu when you're inside of a category.

Quote from: balai on February 16, 2016, 16:40:57 PM
Try Custom Filters
https://breakdesigns.net/extensions/custom-filters

balai

Personally i disagree also with the existence of the manufacturer menu.
It is much easier to add things with 3rd parties than to remove them by editing code and this can be seen by many posts in this forum.

There are some 3rd party solutions with so much flexibility that let VM focus on the basics and let others focus on more specific fields

Ghost

You can use this plugin to insert module in menu https://www.nonumber.nl/extensions/modulesanywhere. This is simple but you will need to style VM category module to fit nicely.

If you don't want to use a plugin, you can create a template override of mod_menu and insert a module position like this:

$doc = JFactory::getDocument();
$renderer = $doc->loadRenderer('modules');
$position = "product_categories"; //position name
$options = array('style' => 'none');
echo $renderer->render($position, $options, null);