News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Product Category showing Subcategories

Started by capricornio, October 06, 2012, 15:15:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

capricornio

Hi all,

Is it possible to create a menu item with a link to a VM Category that will show all products from this category and belonging subcategories ? I believe this was possible with VM 1.1, but can't find it.
So if a have a category clothes with subcats Boys and Girls, I want to see boys and girls clothing both when in 'Clothes', and only boys when in 'Clothes -> Boys'.

thnx

bytelord

Hello,

Yes it is, when you create a menu item you can see under virtuemart the option category layout. But from subcategories no, only if you applied to the product that belongs to more than one category, for example:

Product A belogns to Category A, Subcategory B, subcategory C with structure:

Category A
    Subcategory B
    Subcategory C

or other categories and sub categories. So you have to add your product to more than a category

Regards
Production: Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.14 | PHP 5.3.13
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.16 | PHP 5.3.8
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 |    VM 2.1   | PHP 5.3.8

- Don't Forget to mark thread as solved when it is solved!
- Please do not PM with support questions, use the forum!

capricornio

Thanks (again) Bytelord,

But how does that affect my SEO searches ? If I put a single product in multiple categories, it will be indexed as different URL's, where I would like the get all the hits on a single product flypage....

What is your experience with this ?

bytelord

Hello,

I see your point. Urls may be an issue because more links are been produced for same product, you could exclude those extra links by not adding them on your XML products map for google (as an example) that are been repeated or as description you could add all categories together (like csvi for example does). Right now i am planning to create a new plugin for xmap for that exactly you are saying (double product urls).

btw, in the forum there is a small hack for this you want to do (show subcategories products inside category). You can find it here: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=97874.0

Regards
Production: Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.14 | PHP 5.3.13
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.16 | PHP 5.3.8
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 |    VM 2.1   | PHP 5.3.8

- Don't Forget to mark thread as solved when it is solved!
- Please do not PM with support questions, use the forum!

capricornio

Thnx for pointing me to the hack. Implemented this one and works like a charm.
@development: Why can't this be a part of the VM Core ?