News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Help with Custom Fields

Started by veggietrade, October 05, 2012, 15:38:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

veggietrade

Hi

If anyone can help me I would appreciate it very much.
I would like to do the following but cannot seem to get it right:

Product is actually an event that they "purchase" per person, at R50 per person.
There are limited "seats" (products or stock) available: 250
What I need to do is have two custom fields:

Number of Children (add R50 per child) - plus a text field where they can enter the childs name and age.
Number of adults (add R50 per adult) - no other fields needed.

The number of children PLUS the number of adults are then taken off the inventory (stock - in this case 250).

I see that using plugins I can create a stock controlled variant - but each variant then has it's own stock amount. I don't want that, I want it to remove stock from the main product (so a choice of two variants subtracts from the main parent).

Main reason is because I cannot assign a specific stock level to children and to adults attributes, because there might be more children and less parents etc, so stock level for children and adults MUST come off the main product stock level.

The reason I'm trying to use Virtuemart for this instead of event registration components is because those are either all too simple or all too complex, or just suck.

Any ideas / help appreciated! If someone can do this for me I am happy to pay for your time as well.

PolishedGeek

VM2 custom fields have probably been the one thing that has frustrated more VirtueMart admins than any single other part of the journey from 1.1 to 2.0.  That's why we created a way to better control custom fields, plus get a whole lot more power and flexibility as well. Check out our posting from today in the 3rd party extension forum - there is now a way to replace non-stockable custom fields with an embedded form component.

Of course, you might consider this too complex a solution as well, as it does require a few other "moving parts". You need to use a forms component, and then obtain our integration extension. But yes, you would be able to do the type of use case that you describe, and once it is set up it is simple to add to additional VM2 products. :)

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=108824.msg364211#msg364211
~ Deb Cinkus, CEO
Polished Geek, LLC   |    www.PolishedGeek.com

Creators of JoomLister - eBay Lister for Joomla!