News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

[SOLVED] Problem with installation

Started by driver_wedge, October 01, 2012, 01:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

driver_wedge

I'm new to Virtuemart. I installed it without a major hiccup on a Windows server hosted domain as a test. The I installed in on a Linux server for a different domain but seem to be getting an odd result - see pic below. I've tried both the newest version and an older one but got same outcome. I also tried reinstalling Joomla, but no joy.

Lastly, when trying to uninstall Virtuemart I'm unable to remove some of the files, can't do it via FTP or host file manager either.

Any ideas on what might be causing the issue in the image? Also, it's the same when you enter into, for example, products set up - all the fields are all over the place.

bytelord

Hello,

What's your joomla, vm and PHP version you are using? Did you install the language files, was the installation finish with success?
Also did you install AIO extensions?

Take a look over here: http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/wiki/Easy_VirtueMart_2_Install_Instructions and here: http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/wiki/Installation_of_VirtueMart_2_with_provided_packages

Regards
Production: Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.14 | PHP 5.3.13
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 | VM 2.0.16 | PHP 5.3.8
Testing     : Joomla 2.5.8 |    VM 2.1   | PHP 5.3.8

- Don't Forget to mark thread as solved when it is solved!
- Please do not PM with support questions, use the forum!

driver_wedge

Hiya

VM 1.1.9 is currently installed but I get the same outcome with 2.0.10.

Joomla version is 2.5.7.

I'm not sure about the php version - is there usually a straight forward way of finding out?

Many thanks!!

driver_wedge

Further to my last post, I had a look at the links - the installation went exactly as described, so no problems there.

I then had a search around the forum and found out that PHP version needs to be 5.3? Is this correct?

I then had a quick look at my hosts website and it says PHP version 5.1 is provided with the package. I guess this is what could be the issue? Will Virtuemart still go through the installation process if the PHP version is incorrect?

Can someone confirm that I need to address the PHP issue before going any further? What's the solution - new host? Speak to host?

Many thanks!!

jenkinhill

Joomla 2.5 requires an absolute minimum of PHP5.2.4  - and preferably 5.3.1+  Same with VirtueMart 2   http://www.joomla.org/technical-requirements.html

I have never  tried installations on anything older then 5.3
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

bytelord

Hi,
Joomla 2.5 has language issues many times that are related to the PHP version, you could use a local installation with xammp (older version with PHP 5.3.x) or wamp to test your site.
Best option will be to upgrade your PHP to 5.3.x as jenkinhill said.

BUT, if on the current server you are running joomla 1.5 with vm1, upgrade PHP to higher version you may face issues with that installation.

Regards

driver_wedge

Thanks guys.

I've just been in touch with the web host. He says the servers are running PHP 5.3, so that rules that out.

As I pointed out earlier, when trying to uninstall VM I was unable to completely remove many of the files. I'll ask the host to completely remove all the files at their end and I'll do a new installation of Joomla and VM to see how that goes.

If you have a look here: http://vaperstore.co.uk/index.php/shop - I'm getting this sort of result in the VM backend also.

I can't think of anything else to try.

bytelord

Hello,

Try a local installation on your computer using Xampp or wamp with PHP 5.3.x to test it... If everything is ok then it should be a PHP issue with your host or an installation issue.

Regards

driver_wedge

I'll give this a go. I've never done it before so don't know how at the moment - I'm sure there's plenty of info out their and freely available, but will get back in touch if I'm stuck.

Likewise, I'll come back to let you know how I get on.

Thanks for your help!

jenkinhill

Quote from: driver_wedge on October 01, 2012, 16:31:29 PM
As I pointed out earlier, when trying to uninstall VM I was unable to completely remove many of the files. I'll ask the host to completely remove all the files at their end and I'll do a new installation of Joomla and VM to see how that goes.

That suggests to me that there could be an ownership or permissions issue with the files. That should not happen on a properly configured server.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

driver_wedge

Hi Guys

After all that, the problem seems to have stemmed from missing Virtuemart language files which I manually ftp'd into the appropriate folders. There still seems to be a couple of pages still showing 'gibberish'- for example: products - product images (but I can make sense of these handful of fields).

Other than that, VM seems to be functioning ok. Some playing around and reading up lies ahead.

Thanks for your contributions - nice to know I have this forum to fall back on should I get into trouble in the future.

driver_wedge

Hey guys

Back again.

I've managed to sort some of the issues I experienced initially, however, I'm still having problems with certain pages within the VM control panel. If you see the image below, it would seem that the correct values aren't being pulled down from the relevant files. The image below is a screenshot of the images page for a product on VM.

Can anyone suggest which file/files may be missing or not functioning here? I have similar problems with a few other pages but will deal with them one at a time.