Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Tax per bill is applied to shipping costs

Started by thebeuving, September 14, 2012, 00:45:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drukman2000

Quote from: Milbo on July 22, 2013, 14:07:53 PM
Then use the tax per bill. For this it is
In order to show it in the cart - that's what I did.
The problem is it impose showing tax & total price for each product so I had to remove tax & total price from all views.
Thanks - Drukman.

Milbo

Tax per bill is only to see in the cart.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

drukman2000

Quote from: Milbo on July 22, 2013, 14:46:39 PM
Tax per bill is only to see in the cart.
I know but in order to see tax in the cart you must make it globally visible.
So if you need it to show in cart but not anywhere else, it should be enabled & than you need to hide it from product page, category page & all other pages.
Bad implementation....showing tax in cart should be a separate issue & not ted to showing tax with each product.
Same goes for total price.

stephenoconnor

I understand this problem and topic very well.
The reason it exists is because a lot of trade suppliers offer goods for sale ex. VAT
They only want VAT to show up in the cart, otherwise it could confuse /deter clients.
If you do not want VAT to show up in the product details pages, you have to use tax per bill.
This shows VAT calculated at the end of the cart page.

The problem then arises when you add in shipping costs.
Ideally you want to be able to display the shipping costs ex. VAT in the cart and then show the total VAT at the end.
If you set up the shipping to have VAT applied, the cart page caalculates everything correctly and the VAT total shows correctly.
However, the shipping costs do not show in the cart display, instead the VAT from the shipping costs are displayed.
Also the shipping costs including VAT are displayed.

Ideally, you want to be able to show shipping costs ex VAT as part of the bill and have the VAT then calculated on the total bill including shipping costs.

That way, it's less  confusing - try it yourself.   

Maybe virtuemart needs to cater a bit more for suppliers who like to display products ex VAT.
They need to be able to show all costs ex VAT and then have the VAT show at the end.

It's very nearly able to do that, it's just that the display is wrong.
A simple solution might be in the shipment methods section, if you had a tax option which said "include in tax per bill".
What do you think?

Kind regards,
Steve O'Connor
www.cubeb.com

drukman2000

Quote from: stephenoconnor on August 11, 2013, 14:35:32 PM
I understand this problem and topic very well.
The reason it exists is because a lot of trade suppliers offer goods for sale ex. VAT
They only want VAT to show up in the cart, otherwise it could confuse /deter clients.
If you do not want VAT to show up in the product details pages, you have to use tax per bill.
This shows VAT calculated at the end of the cart page.

Hi Steve,
Recheck what you wrote...
The way you suggested, tax WON'T be shown for each product, only the tax sum.
Drukman.

stephenoconnor

Hey Drukman, I understand that, and am prepared to live with that as I can simply call the tax  "VAT-23%" and when it shows at the end of the cart page, it's pretty self-explanatory. However, the way it shows the shipment costs as tax and cost inc. tax is confusing.
In the top half of the bill, it shows products prices ex.VAT and doesn't show VAT costs.
In the bottom half, for shipment costs it shows the opposite, it shows the VAT amound and prices inc. VAT.

For the shopper, that is confusing.

stephenoconnor

By the way, drukman, you put here:

"So if you need it to show in cart but not anywhere else, it should be enabled & than you need to hide it from product page, category page & all other pages"

How did you hide it from product page/category page / all other pages? Do you mean custom changes in the files?

Kind regards,
Steve

drukman2000

Quote from: stephenoconnor on August 11, 2013, 16:13:21 PM
Hey Drukman, I understand that, and am prepared to live with that as I can simply call the tax  "VAT-23%" and when it shows at the end of the cart page, it's pretty self-explanatory. However, the way it shows the shipment costs as tax and cost inc. tax is confusing.
In the top half of the bill, it shows products prices ex.VAT and doesn't show VAT costs.
In the bottom half, for shipment costs it shows the opposite, it shows the VAT amound and prices inc. VAT.

Now you nailed it ! -))
This is exactly why you must set products both with & without tax to show.
But if you don't really want to show tax all over the store, afterwards you must manipulate the tmpl files.
Not a very wise implementation.
Drukman.

drukman2000

Quote from: stephenoconnor on August 11, 2013, 16:20:16 PM
By the way, drukman, you put here:

"So if you need it to show in cart but not anywhere else, it should be enabled & than you need to hide it from product page, category page & all other pages"

How did you hide it from product page/category page / all other pages? Do you mean custom changes in the files?

Kind regards,
Steve

Yes.
This is why it is not a wise implementation.
Store & Checkout should have separate configuration attributes.
Drukman.

stephenoconnor

Quote from: drukman2000 on August 11, 2013, 16:28:47 PM
Quote from: stephenoconnor on August 11, 2013, 16:13:21 PM

Now you nailed it ! -))
This is exactly why you must set products both with & without tax to show.
But if you don't really want to show tax all over the store, afterwards you must manipulate the tmpl files.
Not a very wise implementation.
Drukman.

My point for a simple workaround for this problem as I mentioned earlier:

If there was an option inside the shipment method which said to include this cost as part of the "tax per bill", then it could be much less confusing.

For example then you could show prices ex. VAT, shipment costs ex. VAT, then one "tax per bill" amount including VAT for products and shipping.

Any possibility of that in the future?

Kind regards,
Steve