News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Complex pricing of a custom-built product (dependencies). How to do?

Started by vigier, September 04, 2012, 21:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vigier

Hi,

I have a live sit with VM2.0.8c and just started developing for a new version of the site with new products.
Most of my products are completely custom built. I am live with the "easy"products, but for those new products I need to create options with dependencies on the price.

Let's say I sell paintings. Each product represents a different print for the painting. The options that the customer has:

• Width
  • Height
  • Thickness of the frame
  • Type of suspension

The minimum price of the product is € 50. If the total price is under € 50, the selling price will be set at € 50.

• One part of the price is the price depening on the size, a price per square cm. So I need Width x Height x Price/cm2
  • The second part of the price is the frame. That's ((2x Width) + (2x Height)) x Price/cm. A thicker frame has a higher Price/cm
  • The third part of the price is the suspension. That price is a standard price depending on the chosen suspension type + width x Price/cm where Price/cm depends on the suspension type
Besides this, it would be a plus if the Width and Height fields are mandatory. Even nicer if the shown picture depends on the combination that de customer has selected.
Since those products are all custom built, I don't need stock-tracking.

Does anyone have any idea how to create this in VM2?

Thank you for any help in the right direction.
Kind regards,
Vigier

vigier

vigier

Wow, after many hours of trying I found it out. I can read the titles, (selected) values and prices of any customfield (text, dropdown) and calculate the price any way I want.
Now working on the very very dirty version by hacking calculationh.php, but it looks like it works.

Later I'll try to rewrite it in a cleaner version that's update stable.

Kind regards, Vigier

realdoors

Hi Vigier,
did you get it working as i would be very interested in your solution.
Kind regards,
Herman

PolishedGeek

I'm curious too.  We're always on the lookout for challenging custom fields use cases.
~ Deb Cinkus, CEO
Polished Geek, LLC   |    www.PolishedGeek.com

Creators of JoomLister - eBay Lister for Joomla!

mylor

Very Interesting!
I have the same issue, just a little difference!

i need to start a configuration for a wooden floor, the custumer inserts the width and height of the floor and the system checks a custom cart containing:

- a certain number of wooden tile (based on the area calculation and tile area)
- other materials (single stock item generally)

Anyone have idea how to solve my issue? I need a programmer for my issue or it can solved using a VM extension?

Thank you all for your kindness!!
And sorry all of us for my terrible english!!
Best regards
Mylor

PolishedGeek

@Mylor -

I think the fact that you will need to auto-add multiple products to the cart based on the calculations of a main product purchase is going to be difficult to do well without custom coding.

While you could probably cobble something together using our extension and a few others, to really have a nice user experience you'll want custom. You'll probably want a custom configurator interface that the shopper is guided through the options that and then it determines the final product price and quantity, plus what other related products should be added to the cart. This could take a fair amount of development though, so it depends on your budget whether this would be a feasible solution.
~ Deb Cinkus, CEO
Polished Geek, LLC   |    www.PolishedGeek.com

Creators of JoomLister - eBay Lister for Joomla!

mylor

Thank you for the answer, in fact i am now on a  preempt  phase, i will see if a pre-custom extension that can made this exist or i must engage a programmer for a custom coding. As you say i must engage a programmer for a best performance solution!
Thank yuou for kindness and your advice!!
Best regards!
Mylor

Quote from: PolishedGeek on October 27, 2012, 05:58:49 AM
@Mylor -

I think the fact that you will need to auto-add multiple products to the cart based on the calculations of a main product purchase is going to be difficult to do well without custom coding.

While you could probably cobble something together using our extension and a few others, to really have a nice user experience you'll want custom. You'll probably want a custom configurator interface that the shopper is guided through the options that and then it determines the final product price and quantity, plus what other related products should be added to the cart. This could take a fair amount of development though, so it depends on your budget whether this would be a feasible solution.