News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Image Problem

Started by favdes, December 08, 2013, 17:43:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

favdes

Hello,

We are setting up a web site for a business. They would like to have a number of different people adding products to Virtuemart. The problem is that they are not that technical and the problem that I foresee is one with images.

They will be uploading images of various sizes and dimensions that will a) mess up the layouts of the store and b) cause huge problems with downloading images, if they upload files that have a huge file size.

Is there some way images can automatically be re-sized and shrunk (file size) when they are uploaded?

Many thanks

James

---

www.favershamdesigns.co.uk

jenkinhill

This can be a problem, I had a guy who kept uploading 3Mb+ image files and wondered why it took so long every time. VM2 can handle this because it rescales the large image for product details, but who wants a slow loading page because a 4,000+ px image is squeezed to 300px or so. I needed a solution!

I found Fotosizer (http://www.fotosizer.com) which he now uses to resize & reduce file size before upload - easy to use with simple instruction as it is drag and drop batch processing and no longer are ridiculously large files being shifted onto the server. A short period of traing was all it took. 
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

favdes

Hi Kelvyn,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I guess really what I'm after is a Virtuemart add-on that will do this all for me. Something that would allow them to upload a 4MB image but VM would resize it, compress it to a proper size.

I know it's a lot to ask but it's going to be a pain to try and show a number of people how to use the image resizer  :)

Alternatively, is there something that would allow me to log on to the backend every-so-often so that I could download the images, resize en masse and then upload them again. I know, not an ideal solution either but at least it would reduce the training issues.

Regards