News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Custom fields with dependencies

Started by vyruz, July 21, 2012, 13:23:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vyruz

Hi,

My girlfriend was dreaming for a long time of openinig an internet webshop for selling dog-related articles (leeshes, collars, etc), which she all makes herself.
So this weekend I said let's do it and setup a website with Joomla 2.5 and VM 2.0.8e.
As she makes everything herself, there's no real need for stock management, she always takes care to have the 'raw materials' plenty in stock.

I experimented a bit with parent/child products and regular products with custom fields, and decided to go with the custom fields solution, however I've kinda hit a wall, where I hope someone can help.
Let's take a collar she makes as an example, there are basically 3 different 'custom fields' a customer can choose from:
- Size (4 different sizes)
- Lining fabric (Textile, neoprene and leather)
- Decoration fabric style (lots of different options, but divided into 2 groups price-wise).

I succeeded in making these 3 fields as drop-down menu's available to customers on the product page.

The problem I'm facing, is that she wants to charge different prices for the 2nd and 3rd options, based on the size that is selected in option 1.
So for example leather lining costs 3.5 Euro extra for 'size 1', but costs 5.00 Euro extra for 'size 4'.
In the product configuration under the custom fields tab, I can only specify one price for the 'lining fabric' custom field.

Is there anyway to make these pricings depend on other fields?
Thanks in advance!

balai

I think that this is not possible.

Better create child products for each size and assign to any of those products the - Lining fabric and
- Decoration fabric style custom fields

vyruz

What would be the added value of having child products in this case?
I Ended up creating separate products for each size, and then specifying custom fields for the fabrics, like you said, but didn't create child products, just cloned one time for each size.

balai

Ok if this works too.

The only difference is that the user could select his child product from a drop-down, in the main product's page

vyruz

OK, I set up a test product for a collar with 4 child products for each size, as described here
I added a 'Generic Child Variant' custom field to the parent product, and now I can select the size when viewing the parent product.

But I cannot add custom fields for lining and decoration fabric to the child products. When I add custom fields to the child products, and click save, they just disappear...
I can add the custom fields to the parent product, but that puts me in the same boat as before, not being able to specify different lining prices for different sizes.

balai

Hmm it sounds like a bug

Try creating a child product from the Products view and check if this works

vyruz

errr... I've been looking but I can't seem to add a new child products from the general products view.
If I go into the parent product I can click the 'Add Child Product' button and go back to the overview and edit the newly created child, but that's how I created the size child products which aren't working...