News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Search module not working

Started by Xaman, July 17, 2012, 17:57:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xaman

Hi,

I can't seem to make the search module for VirtueMart to work. When I search for something it always gives an empty result and shows only the categories. I'm using the latest Joomla (2.5.6) and VirtueMart (2.0.8c).

Can anyone assist me with this?

ivus

Hi Xaman,

There's not really much information to go by in order to help you?

Have to checked that the "VM - Search, Virtuemart Product" plugin is set to published in the > Extensions > Plugin Manager?

Let's start with that. The fact that the search is displaying the results page without errors means the search function is in fact working.

Xaman

There's not much I can tell you, everything works fine EXCEPT the search. And it was giving some errors before, but I updated it to the latest version and now gives no errors, but no results either.

I searched for that plugin and it's active.

gunblaze

virtuemart search doesn't work with dashes or spaces. You can try just inputting one section of your search input. Maybe the most unique part of your code. ie: i believe would be 234 and see if it works. solved mine like this. Hopefully, someone can offer a solution to improve the search plugin be it by coding or providing a new plugin.
Do you run your own Store using virtuemart as well?
Link up with me! Pm me to partner up.
http://www.casualstyle.net

Pepinka

Hello,

Same problem, VM product search doesn't work on my site. So I've bought a commercial extension. That is working in Ajax mode but it's not working when I'd like to list the results in a new page. Support said that is because of the VM search modul failure.
So I would be happy if anybody can help us to solve the standard VM search modul failure.

I've checked, standard VM search plugin is enabled.
Joomla 2.5.6, VM2.0.10
Bye!

jillymot

I have noticed that the Virtuemart Search Product module works when inputting the search while on a non-virtuemart page, i.e. on a Joomla article page.  I input the search words and it produces the expected result, returning results from multiple categories if the criteria is met.  If, however, I am on a virtuemart category layout page, the expected result will only be returned if I am on the category layout page that product is in, i.e. the product search filters only on that category.  If I try the same search while I am on another category page, it will return a 0 result.  This occurs whether Search Filter Category setting in the module (whatever that is supposed to mean) is set to Yes or No - it makes no difference.

Would be great to be able to fix this, as the Virtuemart Search Product results look better than using the standard Joomla search module.

I have found, contrary to a previous post, that you can have spaces in the search term, but it only works within the confines of what I have outlined above.

Hope someone can help  ;)

Joomla 2.5.8 Virtuemart 2.0.12b

jillymot

CenturionSigns

I'd like help with this issue too.  When I type in anything in the search it just takes me to the categories page.

jjk

@CenturionSigns
Your search problem sounds different compared to the previous posts. Please submit some more information like VM version, your search module settings, etc.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

CenturionSigns

Hi,  I'm running Joomla! 2.5.2, Virtuemart 2.0.14 and the ShoppingBag theme from Shape5.  The search module is in a sidebar position.  The module is "VirtueMart Search Product".  Search filter category is set to "no".   Not sure what else I can tell you?   

When I enter a search term in the module from the home page and click return I get taken directly to the page with all of the categories listed.

When I enter a search term in the module while on any other page I get mixed results:  sometimes it will pull up the blank results page, other times it will find the items it should and return them.

http://www.centurionsafetysigns.co.uk

jjk

Looks like it currently is coded the way that the search module finds all products when initiated from the 'categories' view and automatically limits the search to the current category if you initiate it from a single category view.

jillymot

Yes jjk, that is what I was trying to explain.  But I am sure it has not always been this way.  I originally designed my client's site back in 2008 and the product search would return results from all categories regardless of which category happened to be open at the time.  How can you make it operate this way again?

I initially thought the Search Filter Category setting in the module would control this, but I have tried setting to both Yes and No with the same result.

jjk

Apparently in VM2 it has been coded the way it currently works and developers are discussing whether or not it should be changed.
On my own site I'm also using the Joomla search plugins including the 'VM - Search, Virtuemart Product' plugin, which displays 'advanced search' (Google type) search results from all categories.

CenturionSigns

@jjk  you mean additional Joomla extensions for searching VM products? 

jjk

Quote from: CenturionSigns on January 18, 2013, 17:53:39 PM
@jjk  you mean additional Joomla extensions for searching VM products?

No, it is a plugin which is part of the VM2 core. If you go to your Joomla 2.5+ Plugin Manager and set the filter to "Search", you will see a 'VM - Search, Virtuemart Product' plugin. If you enable this plugin, you can create a Joomla Menu item with the 'Menu Item Type' "Search Form or Search Results". In the frontend this will present a search form/results like in the screenshot below.

[attachment cleanup by admin]