News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

vmError: $link["view"] is empty

Started by fire47, July 16, 2012, 16:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fire47

Quote from: Milbo on December 21, 2012, 17:08:10 PM
So the vmdebug message helped you to find the broken menu item? We worked for your problem at least an hour all together. A bit more enlightning explanation would be nice.

No, actually I didn't have to.  Just the suggestion that there was another unpublished or hidden link allowed me to find the bad one.  No one ever told me that having multiple links to virtuemart could be causing it, only the primary ones.

fire47

Quote from: Milbo on December 21, 2012, 17:15:03 PM
I think, the debug message showed him that it was exactly what we said from begin on. So he may feel guilty, which is quite normal. What he not understands is that also adding a vmdebug will help 100s of other users migrating vm1 to vm2 next year. As far as I know the majority did not update yet.

I didn't need to use the additional debug as mentioned above.  No one ever said to me before that other links, even unpublished, could cause this error.  No guilty feeling at all, its actually quite sad that this took over 6 months!!!  The virtuemart community should be the ones that feel guilty, or even the developers since this is not in the documentation anywhere either.

Milbo

Go to joomla and ask them. It is a joomla infrastructure, has not a lot todo with us. But next time we can turn on vmdebug and then you see directly which menu item is causing trouble.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

fire47

Quote from: Milbo on December 22, 2012, 01:02:17 AM
Go to joomla and ask them. It is a joomla infrastructure, has not a lot todo with us. But next time we can turn on vmdebug and then you see directly which menu item is causing trouble.

They sent me here.

Milbo

The reason is the menuitem id. We dont want to see this id in links. So we must search it and if you did not set a correct menu item to virtuemart, you get this error.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

codeslayer42

I actually had the same problem. I had two outdated menus which came from a previously migrated joomla site. They have not been used anyway. Obviously there were many broken menu entries so they caused a list of several "vmError: $link["view"] is empty" messages.

Anyway I think it would help when you would display something like "Menu: xxx / menu-entry: yyy is empty/invalid" or something similar instead of identical "$link["view"]" which do not explain what is wrong. I understand that you have check menu-entries for correct links to VM but a more verbous explanation of the problem would help to identify the menu and the broken entry.

It looks like a broken debug info which needs a fix to become more understandable.