News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Different prices for different shopper groups (wholesale and retail) in VM2

Started by london, July 03, 2012, 15:18:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

london

I have a very simple setup that I'm trying to get happening.  I'm basically trying to emulate the great feature of VM1.x of having multiple prices per item.  I have two main shopper groups, retail and wholesale.  Wholesale gets 50% off retail price. 

This is what I have done:

* Setup a calculation rule of -50%. Set to price modifier before tax (there is no tax so I'm not fussed about this).  Assigned to wholesale shopper group. Assigned to all countries, all states.  Start from today.  Never ends.
* Setup a new item.  Entered $20 for price.  Assigned item to both Anonymous and Wholesale shopper groups so everyone can see the item. 
* Assigned Wholesale calculation rule to item.  Items final price changes to $10 (50% off).
* Item price is now the same price of $10 (50% off) for both wholesale and anonymous customer.  There is no differentiation between shopper groups, logged in or not. 

How do I get one price for one shopper and another price for another shopper, just as used to occur in 1.x?

I have seen many different posts by different people regarding this and so far I haven't been able to see if anyone has actually got this working properly.  Has anyone managed to get this successfully setup?

Have I missed something in regards to how this works?  Perhaps this is not the right way of doing it and I have misunderstood this. 

Happy to be wrong, just to get it working.  Any advice from anyone would be very much appreciated.

THANK YOU!

amymattian

I am having exactly this same issue! The tax-rules do not take into account the assigned shopper-group so there must be a bug in the system!

I have also tried different ways to make shoppergroup prices, f.ex. parent-child-products, but then I have a problem with stock-control - there is only one stock value for both retail and wholesale customers. I cannot figure out how to make prices for two different shoppergroups with one stock-control. This is really a bad issue!

Amy

jabberlope

Has anyone found any leads to solving this issue? My client's pricing levels were determined by shopper group but they were all non-standard and discounted at the individual product level. The VM mod's have suggested that their solution of applying across the board x% discounts is superior but this will not work for my client.

Any leads you might have would be much appreciated, and I'll gladly post anything I find to this thread as well since it looks like VM have abandoned this feature and won't respond to any questions regarding it.

ALTERNATIVELY I'm seriously thinking of abandoning VirtueMart due to their huge failure to implement 2.0 correctly and professionally. Does anyone else have any suggestions for a superior e-comm platform in Joomla? And perhaps some estimation of the shortfalls of that system?

Many many thanks,
Tyler Burton

Vegaanders

I got a mail from the VM developer and they said that it should come in the next update. So we have to see

Anders

PolishedGeek

@Tyler -

The catch, of course, is that what one person finds perfectly acceptable in a cart, someone else with different needs may think is woefully lacking. It all depends on what you need and how well a particular cart matches up with it (and your skill areas).

If you're a programmer, VM2 is fast becoming your playground. We've been able to do some amazing things with it lately for our clients! But if you would rather use out-of-box functionality with a plugin or two, it can be frustrating.

I gave a presentation at JoomlaDay Chicago 2012 covering several Joomla 2.5 eCommerce carts. It's only a short summary for each one, but might give you some new ideas of what else you might look into, and what might not be worth your time.

The video is posted here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=3CkgH6ahE8g   The video equipment in use that day was unfortunately not the best, so be sure to turn your sound up.

The latest slides are posted here: http://polishedgeek.com/media/checkout-your-options-for-joomla-ecommerce-shopping-carts-j2.5-e-commerce.pdf

Hope you find this useful!

P.S.
There are some new carts in alpha and beta now that aren't rated in my eCommerce presentation yet. I plan to update my shopping cart coverage every 3 months or so as the Joomla! eCommerce world changes. As new carts gain traction we'll see how they rank against the established players.  :)
~ Deb Cinkus, CEO
Polished Geek, LLC   |    www.PolishedGeek.com

Creators of JoomLister - eBay Lister for Joomla!

AH

PolishedGeek

Great information for the e-commerce community.

It was good to read your high level view. 

As you note, all have pro's and cons based on the level of expertise available to those intending to run an e-commerce channel for their business.

Regards
A

Joomla 3.10.11
php 8.0