News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Updating Virtuemart 2.0.6 to 2.0.8

Started by ddrapeau, June 30, 2012, 05:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddrapeau

The live update, that I got to by clicking the update arrow icon, in Virtuemart didn't work. I got these error messages:

JInstaller: :Install: Cannot find XML setup file

Invalid package type. The update can not proceed.

How do I manually update from 2.0.6 to 2.0.8? Or is the update broken for everyone?

I am using Joomla 2.5.6 Stable.

jjk

Might be a server setting. First you can download the 2.0.8 zip file(s) and install it using the Joomla Extension manager like any other Joomla extension. If that doesn't work, try the tar.gz file(s) instead.
See also here:
http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/wiki/Easy_VirtueMart_2_Install_Instructions
http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/wiki/Installation_of_VirtueMart_2_with_provided_packages
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

ddrapeau

It's safe to just install over an existing version like that? I don't want to lose any settings or products.

Milbo

You should always make an backup. But we directly installed it (AFTER the backup) over our live store and it directly worked.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

mabeall32

is there any issues going from 2.0.6 to 2.0.8?  I would like to to 2.0.8 without installing each of the  2.0.7 test.

jjk

There are lots of possible server/joomla/VM2 configurations, so you never can be shure in advance.
You can try yourself by installing a local 2.06 copy of your site using http://www.apachefriends.org/de/xampp.html and update that one to 2.0.8. (Server configuration will certainly be different though compared to a live installation).
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

mabeall32

franzpeter

Did follow the instructions from Milbo and did set the upDelCols=0 on all possible cfg files for virtuemart. Did truncate the config entry in the database and did restore it by the backend function. So in the database the upDelCols=0 was integrated.  I am using two servers, a MAMP localhost and a live server. So the first thing was to try the live update on the localhost. Result: additional database fields were deleted after the update. Did backup the database on the live test server and tried there the live update: result: no update because xml file was not found.
So for users with individual database changes by adding additional rows I just can recommend not to update a live shop. You may loose your data. I my case I would loose the sync rows for the distributor import. While for the products it should not be a problem, the sync rows can be added as custom fields. But there are no custom fields for categories.

So what to do? The way I did was to clone the database on the live server with plesk to have a backup. Did download the vm 2.0.8, unpacked it and did upload the unpacked files to the tmp folder of the server main webpage directory. Did choose the standard install way from joomla and everything worked. But as already told, the additional database fields were deleted. VM 2.0.8 does not seem to change database entries, so the database structure remains the same as in VM 2.0.6. The update procedure just reported, that it did delete some rows (i.e. everythting what was user added). So it does not matter to use the upDelCols=0 or not. VM will delete everything what was added by a user into the database.

Still asking myself why such a nasty installation procedure is needed? It would obviously be better, if necessary, to just update the database if new entries are necessary. I do not understand why the developers use a function (by default) to delete rows. The proposed way to add upDelCols=0 obviously does not work. It did not work with MAMP on a Mac and it did not work with RedHat/Centos on my life server. And I am pretty shure that it does not work too with a Debian server.

And what will happen if a VM update needs to change database entries to extend something? The cloning method is possible with VM 2.0.8 but maybe not with a newer VM version.

Kevin3068

After upgrading using the live update, I get the following error on the category pages:

Warning: Division by zero in /home/NAME/public_html/SITENAME.com/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/models/product.php on line 516

The sites are on hostgator, and functioned fine before. Its happened on every one I tried. Fortunately, its only happened on "sandbox" sites so far, as I dont do anything on the live site until its tested on the development mirror. Is there a fix to this yet?

dylanphelan

Quote from: Kevin3068 on July 02, 2012, 06:03:32 AM
After upgrading using the live update, I get the following error on the category pages:

Warning: Division by zero in /home/NAME/public_html/SITENAME.com/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/models/product.php on line 516

The sites are on hostgator, and functioned fine before. Its happened on every one I tried. Fortunately, its only happened on "sandbox" sites so far, as I dont do anything on the live site until its tested on the development mirror. Is there a fix to this yet?

Same issue here.

esanchez1091

I'm having the follow issue here two hope to see a patch for this soon...

vitricio

i have the same problem

Warning: Division by zero in /home/instrume/public_html/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/models/product.php on line 516

esanchez1091

vitricio  --- >The solution for now

Thanks bytelord that was the fix.....

bytelord

Beginner
        View Profile
        Personal Message (Online)

Re: Division by Zero on com_virtuemart/models/product.php
« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:41:54 »

i find out what have been changed.

the $category->products_per_row is coming from the category configuration on the backend. So by default that value is '0'.
That means that category oprions from shop->configuration are overided from category products_per_row.

If you go to each category and place there an option for products per row then the error is resolved.

[attachment cleanup by admin]

Milbo

Quote from: franzpeter on July 01, 2012, 12:03:07 PM
Still asking myself why such a nasty installation procedure is needed? It would obviously be better, if necessary, to just update the database if new entries are necessary.

Please apologize franzpeter, like you mentioned this is not working as intended. But imho I had you in skype, you could have directly contacted me after the first problem. And you are right, it should be easier. I promise you, that I disable the deletion of fields now by default and that we may an extra button, like "clean up database" or so. Why we did that? Just to get rid of old fields so that people get not confused during the development phase, but since 2.0.2 it was not really used any longer.

Quote from: mabeall32 on June 30, 2012, 15:49:20 PM
is there any issues going from 2.0.6 to 2.0.8?  I would like to to 2.0.8 without installing each of the  2.0.7 test.
You could even directly update from 2.0.0 to 2.0.8. Dont nail me down :-) But of course the update is meant from stable to stable version, or what your virtuemart should tell you in the BE (upgrade found).

For the other error
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=104707.0

There will be a version b soon. And will be painless like von 2.0.8 to 2.0.8a.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

jelly

Just to let you know... I had the same errormessage: Invalid package type. The update can not proceed.
I downloaded the tar.gz and unpacked it in the joomla backend via the extensionmanager and that worked fine...
But the update button in VM itself... does not work unfortunately...