Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Updating Virtuemart 2.0.6 to 2.0.8

Started by ddrapeau, June 30, 2012, 05:10:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ddrapeau

Quote from: Milbo on July 02, 2012, 23:01:55 PM
Quote from: franzpeter on July 01, 2012, 12:03:07 PM
Still asking myself why such a nasty installation procedure is needed? It would obviously be better, if necessary, to just update the database if new entries are necessary.

Please apologize franzpeter, like you mentioned this is not working as intended. But imho I had you in skype, you could have directly contacted me after the first problem. And you are right, it should be easier. I promise you, that I disable the deletion of fields now by default and that we may an extra button, like "clean up database" or so. Why we did that? Just to get rid of old fields so that people get not confused during the development phase, but since 2.0.2 it was not really used any longer.

Quote from: mabeall32 on June 30, 2012, 15:49:20 PM
is there any issues going from 2.0.6 to 2.0.8?  I would like to to 2.0.8 without installing each of the  2.0.7 test.
You could even directly update from 2.0.0 to 2.0.8. Dont nail me down :-) But of course the update is meant from stable to stable version, or what your virtuemart should tell you in the BE (upgrade found).

For the other error
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=104707.0

There will be a version b soon. And will be painless like von 2.0.8 to 2.0.8a.

So 2.0.8b will not delete database fields?

Milbo

Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

WillP

Hi, it might out of topic. I would like to ask, what is the proper way to modified virtuemart and work with update version?

I was previously using virtuemart 2.0.6 with some modification on some files in order to have custom view, layout and content to be displayed. Now I want to update 2.0.8c, for sure my files will be override. Besides manually modified again, you guys have any idea for more efficient way to manage this issue? Hope to get advice from you. Thanks!

franzpeter

Those update issues with not found xml file occur, if the server does not allow url_file_open. I use my own server and did configure apache to not allow url_file_open for security reasons. It is a Joomla issue that they still use that unsafe method. For all, which have problems to update the solution is to download the update files, uncompress it and ftp the whole folder into the tmp directory of the web page. To update it is possible to choose 'Update from folder' by entering the path info (without the last slash).
Best way is to backup the database before updating. Then did update from 2.0.8 to 2.0.8c and the updater did not delete any additional rows in the database. So it seems to be safe to update to 2.0.8c without loosing data.

atranaz

@Milbo i got the same live update issue when i try to update my virtuemart 2.0.8e to 2.0.14 ?

kindly give me guideline for update manually :)

my error message

" Unable to open archive
   Extracting the update package failed. Please try updating the extension manually."

Thanks in advance