News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Virtuemart template override not working

Started by Artanis, June 19, 2012, 11:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artanis

Hello!

I've problem with Virtuemart 2.0.6 (Joomla 2.5) - it seems that Template override in VM is not working at all. Using latest VM with multilangue enabled.

What I need to do - make my VM shop use different template from rest of my site.
What I can't do - because I use featured products module in front page of my site, I can't use that hack by add forced template to my shop link in Main Navigation - it works only if I use that link to go to shop. If I go to product directly, template isn't overrided, so it's no use!
What I tried to do - already tried to disable SEO (in some forums guys wrote that this template issue can be due to SEO&multilangue glitch), tried all possible configuration combinations for template override.

At first I got the error message in page saying "The choosen template couldnt found on the filesystem:", but it dissapered by turing off SEO - so there must be another problem involved.
Best regards and thanks for Your help in advance!

[attachment cleanup by admin]
Animus Project - Design Studio
Running Joomla 2.5.6, Virtuemart 2.0.6a, PHP 5.3.10

Artanis

Please, could someone help. I'm getting mad by trying to solve this problem.
I really can't understand why it's not working as it should:

1) I've installed additional template in Joomla just for VM
2) I've specified template used by VM in the VM configuration (see attached screenshot above)
3) Nothing works except forced template through Navigation item override, which, as I mentioned above, is not an option because of direct links to products from site front page.

Am I missing something? Is there some kind of small tip I don't know?

Artanis

jenkinhill

I use the following settings, where template A is for Joomla home & other Joomla pages, template B is for VirtueMart pages:

In VM configuration Select the default template for your Shop is left as Joomla default.

The main Joomla template A is selected as default in Joomla's template manager and in Menus assignment it is set to all non VM main menu items.

In template 2's template manager the Menus assignment is to the VM menu items only.

There is a tutorial on Joomla template/menu config on http://www.ostraining.com/blog/joomla/different-templates-different-pages/
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Artanis

Thank You for Your answer  - it worked well.

I was just hoping that VM template function would work more straight forward - it seems unlogical that I have to overrride (and teach my client to do that witk all future menu enties as well) template for SITE not for VM. Is this some kind of VM bug that will be resolved later or something? Because now it's exactly the way around - i force Joomla articles to use different skin, not the VM. Weird.

jenkinhill

In Joomla 2.5 template assignment by menu item is the way to go. VM2 has to work with Joomla 1.5 as well which is not so good at assigning its own templates, so assigning the template in VM is a workaround AFAICT.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Artanis

Ok, thanks for answer. But there are still loads of problems because of this -

For example - if I use template A for my Joomla site, and template B for VM, and if I want to set some specific modules in SOME of pages of VM, I must manually add all these VM pages to menu (instead of using module display option "On all pages except selected"). :( This is really very, VERY time consuming process... It would be lot more logical to simply set different template in VM settings and that's all.

Btw - how long is it planned to keep support for all these prehistorik Joomle/VM versions like 1.5/1.6? I'm pretty new to J/VM, so this whole mess with tutorials and manuals for different combinations of J/VM is driving me (and lot of other starter folks arond) mad. It would be soo much better, if all the development would be turned to J2.5/VM2..

dragonself

Finally I found this reply which is very useful to me.
I just wonder if Vm2 category template is also not working on Joomla 2.5, if yes what is the work around for this feature.

jenkinhill

VM2.5 requires templates to be assigned to menu items for display. Use a hidden menu to use specific (non-default) Joomla templates for specific categories.

Create a new Joomla menu, name it eg hidden, and to that add menu items of type Category Layout for whichever categories you want to assign a different Joomla template to (add the category under "Required Settings" for each menu item). Then go to your template manager and assign the non templates to the required menu items. The hidden menu is not shown on the FE, is only used in the BE.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Rune Rasmussen

How do we force VirtueMart to use a specific template for all views not supported as menu items, in Joomla 2.5+?
Like t.ex. for the darn pluginresponses?
Rune Rasmussen - https://www.syntaxerror.no/

Norwegian Translation Team

Rune Rasmussen

In case anyone cares or wonders about the same,

If you are using a payment module loading payment externally, and you return to the site displaying wrong template (and maybe also "&view=pluginresponse" in URL), get the return/reponse URL's in the payment plugin updated.
Rune Rasmussen - https://www.syntaxerror.no/

Norwegian Translation Team