News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

How to add sizes to a product in Virtuemart 2

Started by itye2012, June 12, 2012, 14:44:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

itye2012

I have looked but cant seem to find the easy answer.

I have a product, in this example a Canvas artwork. I have created the product and allocated it to a category.

What i need to do now is allow the customer to choose what size canvas they want and add it to the cart with the relevant price.

How do you do this? Ive looked at custom fields but not sure what to do

Can someone help?

itye2012

mowgs

Are the lengths going to be set?

i.e. the customer has a choice of say, 50cm, 100cm, 150cm

or are they figures that the customer inputs?

mrooks1984

hello, i would do it using custom fields one of two ways.

if you need to do it height and width.

1. goto virtumart on your admin panel, custom fields, click the new button.
it will then ask you some questions, select the following:

Custom Field Type: Cart Variant
title: width
make sure publish is set to yes
Cart Attribute: yes
all rest leave.
click save.
do same but title: height

Custom Field Type: Cart Variant
title: size or dimensions
make sure publish is set to yes
Cart Attribute: yes
all rest leave.
click save.

once you have done 1 or 2

go to products and find the product you want to add these options to and click the title of it.
click on custom fields, look down the page until you see, Custom Field Type. Click the dropdown menu and select the name of the custom field title you gave above.
you will then see it adds the title for selected custom field title, there is also a value and price box in there, you need to fill out value with the size e.g. 20cm x 30cm (depending on if you did 1 or 2 above) and fill out price per size, if there isnt one and you dont want the no additional charge coming up, delete anything in the price box so its empty. do same for all options you want, then click save at top.

hope this helps and let me know if its not how you want to do it and how you got on.
Joomla and Virtuemart Website Designer

My Website:
http://www.cyberglide.co.uk

itye2012

many thanks for you instructions, it worked and was just what was required for the website

Thanks again

mrooks1984

My Website:

jimsake

As i see beginers are more qualificated than members, or not?
people are too smart not to believe in God, but too stupid not to believe on themselves..

mrooks1984

its looking like that lol, i need a pro to help me on a couple of issues, but none seem to be about.

My Website:

itye2012

Many Thanks for your help on the cart items , I am having a few issues and was hoping you can advise on what to do with regards to the custom fields

website is www.tinytotsart.com

If you click on BOYS Canvas then select  the cart icon on the ROCKET canvas you will see that the sales price is 45.00.

What i want to do is allow the user to select different sizes and the price automatically updates based on the size selected

As you can see there is an option called 12 x 12 inches which is 10.00 extra. This correctly adds the 10.00 to the base price of 45.00 making 55.00

However what I wanted to do is have the options like above in the drop down box but without the 10.00 showing. I want the additional cost to be hidden and only added to the sales price.  Is this possible?

Many Thanks

mrooks1984

hello, no i dont think it is without changing the code.
i in the past was trying to get a answer for this, but no one seems to know.

My Website:

itye2012

thanks for the reply, im also looking at Hika Shop at moment which seems to be a lot easier than virtuemart.

anistonemily4

Once the new field is created in the database we will need to add that new field to the VirtueMart 2 Administration Panel so that when the new product is created/updated in the VirtueMart 2 we can set the value to our new 'product size' field. 

codeice2

Quote from: mowgs on June 13, 2012, 12:26:18 PM
Are the lengths going to be set?

i.e. the customer has a choice of say, 50cm, 100cm, 150cm

or are they figures that the customer inputs?

I have a similar issue with my site (selling prints) however I do need the ability for the customer to input custom sizes which then goes to calculate a price.
Anyone have any other thoughts on this?
Thanks

dudumizi

Quote from: itye2012 on July 02, 2012, 13:19:33 PMHowever what I wanted to do is have the options like above in the drop down box but without the 10.00 showing. I want the additional cost to be hidden and only added to the sales price.  Is this possible?

Many Thanks

itye2012, i have checked your website seems you have succeeded to hide the additional cost and only added to the sales price, can you share with us how you did it?

capewellmj

To remove the annoying "no additional charge"

find these files:

/language/en-GB/en-GB.com_virtuemart.ini
adminstrator/language/en-GB/en-GB.com_virtuemart.ini

Edit the string in notepad (or whatever) to:
COM_VIRTUEMART_CART_PRICE_FREE="No additional charge" 
to:
COM_VIRTUEMART_CART_PRICE_FREE=""

bye bye words.