News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Problems changing Language

Started by mauricioleguizamo, June 08, 2012, 16:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mauricioleguizamo

Im having problems changing the Language of VM 2.0.6 (Joomla 1.5.22)

My site is not Multilingual. I just want it in Spanish for now. I installed the Spanish Language Pack manually after I entered all my products (which Im guessing was a huge mistake), but I cant see it on the Language menu in VM (I only see English). I cant find how to change the langage for VM.

If I change the front end language in Joomla, all my products and categories dissapear, but still Spanish does not appear in the VM options.

Ive been looking in the forum and basically I see that the multilanguage options are complicated and Im just a begginer with Joomla...

What Im thinking is the easiest solution for now is to take the spanish pack and change the names to the corresponding english files and replace them in the english folders, so I dont have to re enter all my products...

Is this the right way to go, or is there an easier way to leave my VM frontend in spanish???

Please help!

Thanks,

mauricioleguizamo

I changed the names from the spanish files to the corresponding names in english and uploaded them to the English Folder (Language/en-GB) in the main Joomla directory.  Apparently all is OK. Ill be posting if anything goes wrong because of this.

I guess this is a simple solution for not wanting to avoid any conflicts with all the products I had already Entered.

For the Future, the best thing to do is to leave languages for Joomla and VM2 the same and then put all the info and products...

If anyone knows if What I did is a mistake for some reason, please inform me!!

Thanks,

jjk

Your first description of your problems looks to me like you started to enter spanish product descriptions into the standard en-GB VM2 database tables and then added the spanish language packs (make shure you have both, the spanish Joomla and the spanish VM2 language pack).  Therefore, after you added spanish, you probably have en-GB database tables with spanish content and and empty es-ES database tables, so your products don't show in spanish.

An easy solution in this case should be to use phpMyadmin and export your xxx_virtuemart_xxx.en_gb tables, then rename the en_gb tables to es_es and import them again. Make shure your frontend language is set to Spanish in Joomla.

However, why are you starting a new shop with Joomla 1.5? Joomla 1.5 has reached it's end of live (no updates and soon no support anymore) and VM2 will follow that soon. Starting with Joomla 2.5 is makes much more sense.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations