News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Order numbers

Started by brycom, June 08, 2012, 14:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reinhold

Quote from: Milbo on December 22, 2012, 11:36:27 AM
The numbers ARE consecutive. The numbers are according to the old german law with consecutive numbers.

Read exactly. I am almost 100% sure that no country demands a pure consecutive number. Most of them demand a consecutive PART ! For example

KudlleMuddle-0001_whatashit,
KudlleMuddle-0002_whatashit,
KudlleMuddle-0003_whatashit,
KudlleMuddle-0004_whatashit,

is a consecutive number.

Sure, but

12122103ca02
121221f71c03
121221ac6604

are NOT consecutive numbers. They are unique numbers with one consecutive part and a completely random part. I know the German tax authorities officially interpret "consecutive number" as "does not have to be a consecutive number, unique is sufficient", but that's just the German interpretation. The Austrian law states (§11 Abs.1 Z.6 UStG): "eine fortlaufende Nummer mit einer oder mehreren Zahlenreihen, die zur Identifizierung der Rechnung einmalig vergeben wird;" (translation by me: "a consecutive invoice number with one or more number series, which is used only once to identify an invoice"). Most lawyers/tax accountants here interpret the first part ("fortlaufend") as: given one invoice number, you can immediately see how the next number will look (given the details like date, since the reset date for the counter needs to be systematic, like yearly/monthly/daily). So any random part in an invoice number will raise a red flag and might prevent your business customers from using that invoice for tax purposes.

You might get away with it for consumer customers (those invoices do not neccessarily need to be consecutively numbered), but several examples show that if the tax authorities audit someone who does not consecutively number all invoices, they are MUCH more strict when auditing: See e.g. http://www.springermedizin.at/artikel/29882-nummerieren-sie-ihre-rechnungen-durchgehend
"Bei der Betreuung von Betriebsprüfungen sehen wir, dass all jene Fälle, in denen Rechnungen an Privatpersonen nicht durchgehend nummeriert bzw. gar nicht erstellt werden, von Prüfern kritisch beäugt werden. Zu oft keimt hier der Verdacht auf, dass Leistungen abgerechnet werden, ohne das vereinnahmte Honorar ordnungsgemäß zu erfassen."

(I.e. while it's not illegal to not consecutively number the invoices to consumers, the tax authorities usually suspect that you do get money from customers without paying tax on it.)

See also the Austrian "Umsatzsteuerrichtlinien 2002", version as of November 23, 2011 (the official document that explains how the tax authorities apply the tax laws), in particular section 11.1.6.6:
https://findok.bmf.gv.at/findok/showGesPDFakt.do

While it does not explicitly say that random parts are not legal, it is quite strict about "Nummernkreise" and when to reset the running counter.
Anyway, have a look at my plugin, which lets you customize your invoice (and order) numbers to basically anything you like:
http://open-tools.net/virtuemart-2-extensions/vm2-ordernumber-plugin.html

Milbo

Or spend 7 euro to reinhold and buy a nice plugin with different configurations from Reinhold.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Milbo

Quote from: reinhold on December 22, 2012, 12:43:26 PM
They are unique numbers with one consecutive part and a completely random part. I know the German tax authorities officially interpret "consecutive number" as "does not have to be a consecutive number, unique is sufficient", but that's just the German interpretation.

That is mostly correct, but not 100%. In germany you had to have a unique number (you need that anywhere) with a consecutive part. Since two years or so, it is just enough to give a unique number.

The Austrian law states (§11 Abs.1 Z.6 UStG): "eine fortlaufende Nummer mit einer oder mehreren Zahlenreihen, die zur Identifizierung der Rechnung einmalig vergeben wird;" (translation by me: "a consecutive invoice number with one or more number series, which is used only once to identify an invoice").
Also not completly correct. " with one or more number series". Why more than one? There must be one part which is consecutive.

Most lawyers/tax accountants here interpret the first part ("fortlaufend") as: given one invoice number, you can immediately see how the next number will look (given the details like date, since the reset date for the counter needs to be systematic, like yearly/monthly/daily).
This is correct. The number must be formatted so, that there is a part which is consecutive. Vm2 is following this. For example the invoice is like yyyymmddRR####. You know exactly the next consecutive part, it is the ####. This number is atm created by count(allinvoices) + offset.

So any random part in an invoice number will raise a red flag and might prevent your business customers from using that invoice for tax purposes.
Either you choose a format which is easy to understand or you must explain them your format (what they dont like). As long you have a clear #### part in it, everything is fine. Please check the bill of the filling station or similar.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

servlet

Quote from: Thomas Kuschel on June 08, 2012, 16:14:46 PM
In addition: the order number is also used for linking to your order status etc.  pp, so why changing? -  Therefore, it's also a security option.
You could display it as you want in your template, by just manipulationg the order number itself in the invoice - tmeplate.
e.g. in mail_html_vendor.php in your template:
There is the $this->orderDetails['details']['BT']->order_number
You could change it to 'I000'.substr($this->orderDetails['details']['BT']->order_number,4)

Regards, Thomas.

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ';' in /components/com_virtuemart/views/invoice/tmpl/mail_html_vendor.php on line 28
Он-лайн магазин за фототапети http://mishelfoster.com

pixelofficer

It's problem here too... If i want to use an order or invoice number as variable symbol /identifier/ to merge payment and order - we can only use number, not letters... It's kind of issue - so I'm looking for solution now...

reinhold

My ordernumber plugin allows you to change the format of the the order number to e.g. a simple running counter:
http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/extension-specific/virtuemart-extensions/virtuemart-orders/22803

creezi

Thank you Reinhold!!

I just upgraded Virtuemart and this was extremely frustrating. My whole ordering system was changed. Couldn't find a solution for the numbering.
Whatever the rules are, I find the current order numbers ugly and not convenient at all!
Besides I don't need a different order number and invoice number. So being able to change this is in my opinion a necessity.

Thanks Reinhold, love the plugin. Worth every penny, now I can get back to work!