News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

how can i set up tax rate per state or zip on VM2?

Started by addixtnc, June 06, 2012, 18:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

addixtnc

HEY ALL I AM A NEWBIE AND WORKING ON MY WIFES NEW COSMETIC COMPANY WEBSITE.. WE INSTALLED VM 2 AND FINALLY GOT MOST OF THE ISSUES RESOLVED BUT NOW I AM TRYING TO CONFIGURE THE TAX RULES TO BE SET BY STATE OR ZIP CODE... HOW CAN I DO THIS?

THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP

alatak

Hi

All the taxes and calculation rules are done via the menu "Product > Tax & Calculation Rule".
Each rules can be set by country and states.

winzor

I have set mine to one country and one state with a 5.5% tax for the state.  Yet when checking out as a guest it shows the tax and added to the price but it doesn't know where the guest is from so why is it showing up?  Is there documentation on how to set this up?

alatak

Hello,

by default the tax applied to the products is the tax from the shop.
Once the customer has filled in his address, then the tax applied is the one from the client.
It does not matter if the client is a guest or has register.

winzor

What is the best way to NOT display the default tax on checkout and only show it to the customer who has filled out an address and should be taxed?

jasonbondone

Quote from: winzor on June 09, 2012, 06:39:58 AM
What is the best way to NOT display the default tax on checkout and only show it to the customer who has filled out an address and should be taxed?

i want to know this too because it is crazy that it will show tax for another state until you add your address. it should show base price and then show tax at checkout for that state

gg1

I am having the same problem with tax showing--most of my customers will not be charged tax when they purchase but the cart is showing tax for two different states in the cart and sidebar (as described here http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=103394.0 ) for non-logged in shoppers including those who have not yet put in an address.

So a $100 item is showing an additional $8.00 charge (tax rate A) and additional $6.30 charge (tax rate B), showing the total as $114.30 instead of $100 to people who are just browsing--it makes their order look more expensive than it will really be during checkout--that's not good for business.   At most someone would be charged $108, and that is only buyers in the same state as me--a small number compared to the out-of-state orders I get.

Generally, in the US sales tax is not a tax on the shop, it is tax on the buyer.

For us, no address should = no tax rate shown.

addixtnc

thank your input i was able to figure out the taxation rules and since we will be selling to the entire us territory i have entered each state tax as a tax rule. only problem is when a customer hts the checkout page all the tax state rules are shown and added to final price. when the customer actually fills out the shipping address the correct state tax is then only applied .. how can i remove it from showing all the states and their taxes on the check out page? i see a few others are having this same issue

gg1

addixtnc--sales tax is a state-based tax, so if you are in the US you generally only collect sales tax for states you have a business nexus in, not all states, unless you have voluntarily registered in each US state with sales tax and plan to collect and remit each state's sales tax to each state separately, which you are not required to do.  If you only sell from home online, you only need to deal with sales tax on orders shipped to your home state.

addixtnc

GG1- thank you for your input i am relaying this message to my wife as we speak and updating our website. thank you very much

thebeuving

Hey Guys,

I was having the same problem with all tax rules showing up until I selected a state, here is the solution that I found.

http://srihosting.com/blog/2012/09/virtuemart-2-apply-tax-only-when-state-andor-country-match/

Thanks,
David
Founded in 2005, Khoza Technology, Inc. formerly SRI Hosting, Inc. is an IT services company with proven success building hosted services, applications, and websites.

https://khoza.com

PinnacleNS

Quote from: thebeuving on September 12, 2012, 01:08:04 AM
Hey Guys,

I was having the same problem with all tax rules showing up until I selected a state, here is the solution that I found.

http://srihosting.com/blog/2012/09/virtuemart-2-apply-tax-only-when-state-andor-country-match/

Thanks,
David

I have tried this fix, and it doesn't seem to work for me. The tax is still showing on the "Show Cart" page (See screen shot). After adding and saving a billing address that is NOT SC, it is removed.

Joomla 2.5.6
VM 2.0.10

Any help would be great! Thanks

[attachment cleanup by admin]

bobmeetin

Getting back to the original question, I navigated through "Product > Tax & Calculation Rule". For many U.S. states you need to configure taxes per zip code. I can get to the list of states, but there is no obvious way to add/update a tax rate per zip code. Some U.S. states such as California have in the neighborhood of 4000 various zip codes that must be added.

Also, related, in adding a custom tax rate, even per U.S. state, the function seems to want you to select applicable product categories. In the U.S., at least Colorado, the tax rate will typically be applicable to all products, yet there is no options to select ALL or defaulting to all. Advise please.