News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

CLONING BUG

Started by dontflinch, June 01, 2012, 16:57:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dontflinch

I have recently tried to clone a couple products and have gotten a very strange result.

once edited and saved I upload a new thumbnail to replace the one that comes with the clone and it changes it but it also changes the original product's image.  If I unpublish the newly cloned product it also unpublishes the original.  I have looked through the database and don't see anything too out of the ordinary except I do notice the products_en_gb table is supposed to be indexed by product id and it is for the most part but not completely.  I have thoroughly checked that there is not any "child" relationship or anything like that going on.  I've also tried "synching media" (Synchronized alltogether 0 files).  I am just starting to look into this but am surprised to not see any other complaints of this, so is this some odd thing in my installation only?

p.s.  joomla 2.5.4  vm 2.0.6

dontflinch

since it might be a while before this gets resolved here are links to the other two threads I found and posted on that are related to this:

http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=100852.0
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=96029.0

Milbo

This problems are solved in j2.0.7D imho. Please test.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

dontflinch

Hi,

Thanks for replying.  I am on a fairly extensive live site, so a little hesitant to install a beta.  I tried looking at the files from that package that have been updated recently and it looks like the clone functions is still identical in them.  is it possible for me just to update a file or two (and could you point me to which ones?) to fix this or must I do the full update?  thanks for your help.

dontflinch

Today I updated to 2.0.7g (and joomla 2.5.6) and this issue still exists.  =(

imo this is a significant problem which really needs to be addressed.  I say that because if someone doesn;t realize this is happening they can edit a whole bunch of products and really be screwing up the initial ones they cloned.

status101

Hi There,

I came across this thread after cloning products today and finding that they were showing on one testing machine, and not on another.  (J2.5.6 - VM2.0.6)

I also found a thread about disappearing products which solved the issue for me.   ( https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=96592.0 )

Basically, remove all shopper groups from the cloned product, or all products for that matter.  Not helpful if you actually use shopper groups so I guess its still a bug, but I dont use them so it fixed my issue at this stage.

I still dont know why it showed on just one machine ( under FF - but not other browsers?? ) as all test were done as guest.. but its working and Im happy.  Hope this helps someone.

dontflinch

hi and thanks for the reply.

I just checked and I do not have any shopper groups selected.

rbedenham

I have the same problem.

Test page can be seen here: http://www.cosmedia.com.cy/testing/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=43&Itemid=342&lang=en

J2.5.6
VM2.0.8e

PHP Built On    Linux server.webselida.com 2.6.32-042stab053.5 #1 SMP Tue Mar 27 11:42:17 MSD 2012 i686
Database Version    5.0.95-community
Database Collation    utf8_general_ci
PHP Version    5.3.14
Web Server    Apache/2.2.22 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.22 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635
WebServer to PHP Interface    cgi-fcgi
Joomla! Version    Joomla! 2.5.6 Stable [ Ember ] 19-June-2012 14:00 GMT
Joomla! Platform Version    Joomla Platform 11.4.0 Stable [ Brian Kernighan ] 03-Jan-2012 00:00 GMT

I don't have any shoppers selected in the 4th product that is supposed to show up in this category.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Richard

AndrAAx

Problem is that poduct id is mapped to a image id

Solution
Edit the database manually!
Check product id in Admin
Change in database

atranaz

Quote from: Milbo on June 05, 2012, 23:04:07 PM
This problems are solved in j2.0.7D imho. Please test.

I've just updated my component from 2.0.6 to 2.0.10 and again cloned the products but every time I change the product Image it also changes for the other cloned product.

dartvader

Upgraded to version 2.0.14 and this bug is still here.....Sigh

dontflinch

obviously "Edit the database manually!" is not a real solution, though your identification of the issue ("Problem is that product id is mapped to a image id") is useful towards guiding the solution.

I really wish milbo or other dev team would have another look at this.

I am frankly surprised that such an issue has gone so long.

I have not developed any virtuemart since my last post so i cannot say, but the last two posters confirm recent sightings, so when I do get going again it would be nice if fixed.

please also see my note
Quote from: dontflinch on June 20, 2012, 18:36:08 PM
above as to why it is maybe more of an issue than even realized by some.

Quote from: AndrAAx on August 04, 2012, 14:18:38 PM
Problem is that poduct id is mapped to a image id

Solution
Edit the database manually!
Check product id in Admin
Change in database

IntrepidClassChicken

I have about 300 tiles to upload as individual products. All identical in detail except for the name and the image.... This IS A BIG PROBLEM!!!!!!

As it is I am having to upload them all by hand. Made even more difficult by the fact that I can't bulk upload the images because it doesn't let you copy and paste image urls. You have to manually upload each image for each product, let it do its thing and only then can you change image urls.

Attention from the developers would be very, very, very, very much appreciated.

Milbo

Quote from: dontflinch on June 01, 2012, 16:57:59 PM
once edited and saved I upload a new thumbnail to replace the one that comes with the clone and it changes it but it also changes the original product's image. 

I do not really understand the problem. Maybe you just do not understand the media system in vm2. In Vm 2 you have medias and you can attach them to your product. You can attach a media many times to different products. So if you change the image of the media, then the image is changed everywhere you used this media. What you assumingly did was to use the replacement option of the medias, that means you changed the image of the media. So of course your old product has "suddenly" another image.

If I unpublish the newly cloned product it also unpublishes the original.
We have still this problem? In fact I was never able to reproduce it, but the post here is quite old. Please confirm.

I have looked through the database and don't see anything too out of the ordinary except I do notice the products_en_gb table is supposed to be indexed by product id and it is for the most part but not completely.  I have thoroughly checked that there is not any "child" relationship or anything like that going on.
Good you did that, this would have been my next question. So please test the latest version http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=110743.0. I would like to fix this problem, of course.

Quote from: IntrepidClassChicken on December 19, 2012, 11:57:28 AM
Attention from the developers would be very, very, very, very much appreciated.

You would help us drawing our attention. We cannot look all the time in the forum, or we cannot write. So please next time, help the community and write a pm to a mod, asking for help. Sometimes no moderator is checking a thread, because everyone thinks it is the area of the other one.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

IntrepidClassChicken

Quote from: Milbo on December 19, 2012, 16:34:06 PM
Maybe you just do not understand the media system in vm2.

Considering this as a possibility, I have further investigated the VM2 Media System and discovered what I find to be a counter-intuitive, media management system. I think I now see the problem so I thank you very much for your input.

In Vm 2 you have medias and you can attach them to your product. You can attach a media many times to different products. So if you change the image of the media, then the image is changed everywhere you used this media. What you assumingly did was to use the replacement option of the medias, that means you changed the image of the media. So of course your old product has "suddenly" another image.

What I have discovered is that the management of our media requires three parts:

1. The definition of the default "Product Media Url" under the "Configuration --> Templates" tab. This is the URL to the folder you intend to store your product images.
2. Defining of a "New" media item in the "Shop - Media Files" section. <<This is the counter intuitive part. I understand though that this defines not only an image but also its associated thumbnail, Alt text, subtitle and a few other useful parameters as well>>
3. Assignment of the media entry to a product.

There is also the option to do a bulk upload of images using FTP to send images from your computer to the website folder defined above and then in the "Shop - Media Files" section you can press the, "Synchronize Media to Virtuemart" button at the top.

I haven't yet tried this so I'll have to let you know how I go. I only have a few media files and tiles uploaded so I should be relatively safe. I imagine though that the Synchronising option could have some unintended effects that may not be easy to undo.

The bit that is confusing is that I (and by the looks many others) have gone straight to the Product Image page thinking that we are uploading an image per product instead of understanding that we are actually interacting with the same Media Management page as referred to in step 2 above.

My opinion is that there needs to be a prompt of some sort in the product image page to let people know that they are manipulating the media entry and not specifically the product entry.

You would help us drawing our attention. We cannot look all the time in the forum, or we cannot write. So please next time, help the community and write a pm to a mod, asking for help. Sometimes no moderator is checking a thread, because everyone thinks it is the area of the other one.

Happy to help with private messages where I can. Hard to know which way to go.

Thanks for your attention on this :)