News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Online Bookstore

Started by gboul, May 20, 2012, 10:31:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gboul

www.myebooks.gr
We went live around the first week of the May after a month of so of development.
The site is based on latest joomla (2.5) and virtuemart (2.0.6).
We used a number of extensions to provide the functionality that we want.
Also we did extensive work in the code to accommodate all the requirements of the project.
It is still under development with new features added all the time.
One of the biggest issues that we have is that when you change the language from Greek to English, the required cache size was huge (over 128MB) over the PHP limit. We changed the setting in the joomla and we wait to see how it behaves. So if any of you visit our English site, please have that in mind.

jenkinhill

That is an impressive site, seems to work well in Greek, with no real difference in speed when switched to En. Not everything is translated, though, eg the poll. Good choice of template, easy to navigate.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

gboul

Thank you for your comments.
You are right about the translation. The bookstore targets the Greek speaking customers mainly those who live in Greece. The English version is meant for Greeks that live abroad and they accustomed to English menus and sites.
My view was to translate everything to English, but we are obligated to show the books and their related info exactly as they are provided by the DRM servers of the publishers.
Some of the work that we did is:
A) to extend virtuemart to implement the Authors object. This looks like the manufacturers, but behaves like a category, since one books can have more than one authors.
B) to implement a translating solution for the custom fields and at the same time to have custom field lists taking values from a table instead from the default field.

Merry

I am so impressed!!!

Merry
Answer is probably from my VirtueMart 2 User Manual ebook, includes FREE updates. FREE Admin Menu Cheatsheet, Quick Install Guide & 30-Minute Quick Setup Guide http://showmeguides.com/

vitaniya

Impressive,your online bookstore is great,hope your career will be more bright.

Limonbay

Lovely, very professional. Good luck with your business!
Piercings y complementos
http://www.limonbay.com
Joomla 2.5.14
Virtuemart 2.0.24

madhuripriya94

Excellent work,your online bookstore is super. :)

Mod edit. link removed.

Roman Delamare

That's an awesome bookstore.
I'm working on an online bookstore. Using joomla 2.5 and VM 2.0.something, lastest version. Here's the link to the workInProgress web site
http://www.librairiecafe.com/index.php/la-cave
CSS is optimised for large screen.

I'm desperatly searching for an effective solution to load my 15.000 books reference without input them manually. I tried Filemaker Pro and Openoffice wz ODBC connection to VM database, but it results as slow as going manually on the back end. Do you have any tip for me?
Should I insist with filemaker pro?
Thank you in advance

Roman
Joomla 2.5
Virtuemart 2.0.20b