News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

SAFE PATH IN DIRECTORY

Started by burtonent, May 17, 2012, 03:29:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

burtonent

I've read everything I can find on creating a directory for the safe path and the invoices folder as a sub directory, but I'm a novice and don't understand where the safe path is supposed to be created. I pulled up configuration.php in root and it has both the log and tmp files mentioned in Mr. Hill's post about the topic;

To do this, first create a directory for downloadable files, even if you do not sell downloads. This directory is best placed outside your Joomla root for security, when this is not possible give it some obscure unguessable name, such as wgettyty. Within this create a subdirectory called invoices. Which file do I create it in?, configuration.php?  _com_virtuemart? 

Then; in VM Configuration/Templates/Media File Settings against "Safe path " (shown as "Path for Sale" in VM 2.0.2) enter the full server path to your download directory. Do not use a relative path, it will not work. Is this in the back end of joomla of the FTP file manager?

Then it says; If you don't know the server path look in Joomla 2.5 System Information/Configuration File where the path is shown for tmp_path and for log_path. Just substitute your new directory name got logs or tmp.  Substitute new dorectory name got logs or tmp?

I realize this probably sounds like I can't scratch my name in the sand with a stick, but I'm really not that stupid, just worn out from an infected site where people are trying to order National Memorial Day Parade tee we produce and the payment processing is messed up and no one can order.  What really sucks is that I donate a large portion of the proceeds back to the American Veterans Center and I'm losing money for them as no one can order.  Anyway, not looking for any sympathy, just dain bread from staying up 33 hours straight trying to fix site www.strongwebsolutions.com but have decided to just install virtuemart on my corporate site and direct the customers there; www.burtonent.com

Any help would be appreciated. 

Milbo

Imho since vm2.0.4, a suggestion for the path is given, when the entry is empty. Usually, you can just copy paste this path and add slash. Almost done,.. then go to this path with your ftp client and create a directory vmfiles, done.

But often it is so that the people get confused due their ftp account. A typical webserver has a path like this:

/home/username/www/public_html/ or /var/www/vhosts/domain.tld/

But often you jump with your ftp directly to /home/username/ or /var/www/vhosts/

So your ftp root / can be in in fact /home/username or /var/www/vhosts. This is the reason we display the real path in the message.

What Hill meant with "Just substitute your new directory name got logs or tmp." is quite easy. For example your tmp path is /home/username/www/public_html/myjoomla/tmp , then just "delete" the tmp and you get your joomla path /home/username/www/public_html/myjoomla/.

VM2 would suggest here the path /home/username/www/public_html/vmfiles. Joomla is installed in a subdirectory and therefore you should go 2 levels higher. So the right path would be in my example /home/username/www/vmfiles/.  Be aware the ending / ! This is atm important, 2.0.7 has an error correction and it is not a problem, when you forget the ending/, but not before.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

burtonent

Thank you Milbo, appreciate your response and help.

jjspelman

Thank you @Milbo!! Worked like a charm. :)