News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

Keeping old URLs from Joomla1.0/Virtuemart1.0

Started by AG, May 16, 2012, 13:16:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AG

Hello!

I am about to update my site from Joomla 1.0 / Virtuemart 1.0 to Joomla 2.5 / Virtuemart 2.0.2. The old Virtuemart URLs look like:

www.mydomain.com/catalogue/productcategory/productname.htm

the new URLs look like

www.mydomain.com/productcategory/productname-detail.html

This means that I need to know 3 things:
1) How do I move Virtuemart into a folder called "catalogue" / How can I redirect the URL?
2) How do I omit the product suffix "-detail"? It is needless and hasn't been there before.
3) The file suffix needs to be htm instead of html (this is the smallest problem and easily solved by some SEO Plugins)

Thank you in advance!

PRO

Quote from: AG on May 16, 2012, 13:16:51 PM
Hello!

I am about to update my site from Joomla 1.0 / Virtuemart 1.0 to Joomla 2.5 / Virtuemart 2.0.2. The old Virtuemart URLs look like:

www.mydomain.com/catalogue/productcategory/productname.htm

the new URLs look like

www.mydomain.com/productcategory/productname-detail.html

This means that I need to know 3 things:
1) How do I move Virtuemart into a folder called "catalogue" / How can I redirect the URL?
2) How do I omit the product suffix "-detail"? It is needless and hasn't been there before.
3) The file suffix needs to be htm instead of html (this is the smallest problem and easily solved by some SEO Plugins)

Thank you in advance!

.htm    can be your suffix,

and

you can make your MAIN shop link alias

catalogue

This can be done

AG

Thank you for your quick reply.

When I add .htm as a suffix I have a double suffix because of the suffix created by the Joomla configuration. When I turn the Joomla suffix off I am lacking the suffix on my static content pages.

I'd be happy if you gave me more detail about:

"you can make your MAIN shop link alias
catalogue"

I created a new menu and added a menu item pointing to the Virtuemart Default Layout with the alias "catalogue". Unfortunately the folder is still not added to my categories.

Just in case you need to know: I have a menu where every menu item is a Virtuemart Category and when I click on it the first 20 products of that category appear.
But there are also menus which connected to static content pages.

PRO

Quote from: AG on May 16, 2012, 13:45:32 PM
Thank you for your quick reply.

When I add .htm as a suffix I have a double suffix because of the suffix created by the Joomla configuration. When I turn the Joomla suffix off I am lacking the suffix on my static content pages.

I'd be happy if you gave me more detail about:

"you can make your MAIN shop link alias
catalogue"

I created a new menu and added a menu item pointing to the Virtuemart Default Layout with the alias "catalogue". Unfortunately the folder is still not added to my categories.

Just in case you need to know: I have a menu where every menu item is a Virtuemart Category and when I click on it the first 20 products of that category appear.
But there are also menus which connected to static content pages.

MAKE ALL of your category menu links "submenu items" of the "catalogue" links.

jjk

BanquetTables.pro replied again while I was typing this... ;)
1) You can get this type of url if you add a Joomla menu item 'catalogue' as Parent Item 'Menu Item Root' in the Menu Manager and add the VM2 'productcategory' menu items as Parent Item 'Catalogue'.
2&3) Change the suffix 'detail' to 'htm' in VM2 configuration - SEO settings. (It's not needless. VM2 requires a suffix to inform the system that you are on a product details view. If you leave it blank, VM2 will not find the product page in some cases)
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

AG

Thank you very much for your replies!

Here is what I finally did:

1) I created a new menu item called "catalogue" an declared it as a separator
2) I made any other menu item a child item of "catalogue"
3) I deactivated the "catalogue" item so that it isn't displayed on the site

Actually pretty easy, when you think about it.

I have not quite figured out the suffix thing because I keep getting urls like www.mydomain/catalogue/productcategory/product.htm.htm
I need to find a way to stop Joomla adding the file suffix on Virtuemart pages.

gfxpixeldesigns

Did you figure this out ?

I'm now in a similar situation where if the joomla suffix is enabled and the virtuemart suffix is .html i end up with two .html declarations. Its a real pain...

I would use a different suffix in virtuemart if i could but coming from vm 1.9 i need the urls to stay the same so the .html is a must.

Currently i have the joomla suffix disabled which results in product pages being www.mydomain/catalogue/productcategory/product.htm this is perfect but then you have the category pages as www.mydomain/catalogue/productcategory which isnt so perfect.

Please let me know if you figure anything out and i'll do the same.

gfxpixeldesigns

One solution i've found is installing the acesef component and setting the suffix in there to .html

In the virtuemart config i then have the suffix -detail

And finally back to acesef in the character replacement box i have added -detail|

This produces the correct url format www.mydomain/catalogue/productcategory/product.html

So this works but remember this is only rewriting the urls so isnt an ideal solution. I would much prefer if a solution could be worked out using the core joomla / virtuemart sef router.

jjk

Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations