News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Remove the suffix -detail

Started by gfxpixeldesigns, May 25, 2012, 12:37:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gfxpixeldesigns

Is there anyway to remove the suffix ?

I can understand why this would be a good thing but im updating a vm 1.9 site to vm2 so for me personally its a disaster as im having to rewrite thousands of urls.

I've tried different things in the joomla / virtuemart router with str_replace but couldnt get the product pages to load without a suffix.

Surely there must be a way ?

sadrem

Hello,
if You haven't define. Define menu item that points to "Virtuemart frontpage" or build hidden menu and define  item that points to "Virtuemart frontpage"
p.s. Do not forget to change message icon to Solved.

gfxpixeldesigns

Not sure what you mean by this as i already have a menu set to virtuemart frontpage and it doesnt remove the suffix on product pages. Could you please elaborate on this ?

sadrem

joomla version?
virtuemart version?
link to site
p.s. Do not forget to change message icon to Solved.

jjk

You can rename the suffix to something like -htm if you like, in VM2 Configuration - SEO settings, but VM2 doesn't work without any suffix. VM2 uses that suffix to inform the system that you are on a product details page. When you leave the field blank, and i.e. select a product from the manufacturer list, it doesn't find the product page without the suffix.

...but from SEO point of view this suffix doesn't hurt at all.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

gfxpixeldesigns

Thanks for the replies.

I've tried renaming the suffix to .html in vm2 but this creates a problem if the joomla config is also set to include a suffix, the result is on product pages you end up with .html.html

Perhaps if we could stop the joomla suffix from adding to virtuemart product pages ?

As for the other argument on the suffix not hurting seo, i suppose this depends on what suffix your using. Default suffix formats like .html .htm .php etc i can agree wouldnt hurt seo one bit although urls would look much nicer without them. The default vm2 -detail suffix however isnt common and worries me somewhat, new google algorithims could see this as spam especially when you consider its on the end of every product url. I suppose eventually they would learn but until then i would be quite worried.

Personally i would prefer my urls to have nothing on the end but the product name, no suffix at all but i guess this is how it is.

If theres no solution or possible hack it looks like im rewriting all my urls  :-\

jjk

I would shut off the Joomla suffix. Search engines don't need it. Concerning your old urls I would just configure a permanent redirect, so that all old urls which are currently stored by the search engines point to i.e. the homepage of your new site. Google picks up VM2 pages much better than VM1 pages.
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations