News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Virtuemart 2 multilingual feature??

Started by sergioiknet, May 02, 2012, 01:53:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sergioiknet

Hi!

I'm trying to figure out how to make a multilungual site, and i have a few questions, i couldn't find the answers online so i was hopeing
someone here could help me.
My setup:

Joomla 1.5.26
Virtuemart 2.0.6

I installed Joomla then 3 language packs, spanish (site and admin) and portuguese (site).
Then installed virtuemart, the sample data, then the AIO pack as i read somewhere here on the forum.

1- After i do this i loose all the product pictures, and i dunno why. I could just start all over again deleting the existing products, and starting all over.
    Not fancy, but this is not my main problem.

2- In the configuration i'm offered to use spanish and english as multilingual site but not portuguese.
    Do i have to install the admin language pack in order for virtuemart to recognize the language as an option?

3- How do i handle the translations?
    When i set the language site to spanish i loose all my products. Therefore i cannot translate them, plus categories and everything else is empty.

Can anyone tell me in which order i need to do things??
Install languages and then virtuemart, or the other way around? is there any difference?

How do you handle translations? how can i know which files are translated and which ones are not?
How can i translate virtuemart administrator?

I know this are pretty basic questions, but i found no manual to point me in the right direction, and everyone here's
asking how to solve one problem or the other, but i need help getting started.

I'd really apreciate the help!!

Thanks in advance!

jjk

I would not recommend to start a multiligual VM2 shop with Joomla 1.5.x., because support for Joomla 1.5 x ends soon and you would need additional third party multi-language extensions for the Joomla part of the shop. However, those extensions don't work with VM2. A multilingual shop is easier to do with Joomla 2.5.4 and the lastest VM2 version.

A possible solution for your current problem is in this forum thread: http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=101376.msg336056#msg336056
Probably you have started entering spanish product descriptions into database tables which are now labeled en-GB (english), which is why you don't see products when you switch to spanish.
Don't know why your portuguese frontend isn't available for selection. Maybe you need frontend and backend files for all three languages.
When you install VirtueMart 2, make shure that your primary language is set as the default language in Joomla. Otherwise your product descriptions end up in the wrong language tables again.
A tutorial to set up a multilanguage website with Joomla 2.5.x is available here: http://help.joomla.org/files/EN-GB_multilang_tutorial.pdf
Non-English Shops: Are your language files up to date?
http://virtuemart.net/community/translations

sergioiknet

Thanks jjk!!
I'm going to try it out!!

stfimc

hi guy,
I finalize the site of Maxime Baroero JetSki Freeride champion and I built on Joomla 1.7.3 and Virtuemart 2.0, for kicking back on bugs
Language Management in virtuemart is very heavy and not worth that of prestashop, but it works pretty well
Mulit language FR / EN / RU - no big problem just a few tweaks
Production in June 2012

Backlinks removed by moderator