News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Max Messages Reached

Started by Seoirserob, May 06, 2012, 13:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seoirserob

Since upgrading to VM 2.0.6 all VM pages are now displaying a warning, "Max messages reached" . . . Any ideas what this message means, or how it should be fixed?

http://www.d1212741-7189.cp.blacknight.com/celtict/index.php/store

Thanks.
Rob.

Milbo

Very strange,
you do not have any messages, so how it comes, that it shows this. This is hardcoded to 100 messages. This function is done for the migrator for example, when it can happen that you have a slightly changed db and the system tries to generate 1000 messages and most time you just get logged out then. I think it is some extension, you are using
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Seoirserob

I did not get this message until the most recent update. No extensions have been installed since. All is the same, except for an update to joomla! and an update to VM. The message appeared after updates.

Thanks, but unless the latest VM is conflicting with an extension where previously there was no conflict ( . . . previous version VM 2.0.4 ) then I think the problem is VM or Joomla! . . . not an extension. I will try disabling all third party extensions and see ( . . . again... I think I've done this already . . . but I will do so again and report back ).

. . . the message comes from a VM process though, so it must be a VM conflict.

Slán go fóill.

Rob.

PS: incidentally, this is an upgrade in progress. The original site is http://celtictshirts.ie - J 1.5.X & VM 1.X . . . I did perform  a migration some time back, but there was no problem until this update.

Milbo

Makes not really sense what you say sorry. Of course it is vm2.0.6, because I wrote this message. But the question is how do you get this message. Because this message is only fired, when you have already 100 messages in the queque.

So there was already a bug before, just not visible, but now you see it.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Seoirserob

I only see this message in VM 2.0.6 . . . I have not seen the message until VM 2.0.6 - but there it is. I do not know why.

I have disabled ( locally ) almost all extensions, and the message still appears.

If the bug was there before it never caused a problem.

so should I open:

/administrator/components/com_virtuemart/helpers/config.php

to find:

} else if(VmConfig::$maxMessageCount==VmConfig::$maxMessage){
      $app ->enqueueMessage('Max messages reached','info');
   }

and change them all to:

} else if(VmConfig::$maxMessageCount==VmConfig::$maxMessage){

}

. . . to eliminate the message . . . or can the source of the problem be determined. . . remember, I did migrate from VM 1 to VM 2 and Joomla 1.5 to Joomla 2.5, some time ago, but this message is new . . . and has only appeared in VM 2.0.6

I would prefer to fix something if it is broken, than prevent the message from appearing. Surely it is a warning telling me about a problem . . .

Milbo

Quote from: Seoirserob on May 06, 2012, 22:59:23 PM
I would prefer to fix something if it is broken, than prevent the message from appearing. Surely it is a warning telling me about a problem . . .

Exactly what I mean. No one has this problem. You can rise the max messages from 100 to 200 or so, config.php line 256. and enable vmdebug.

Seoirserob

When i increase that number from 100 to 211 the message disappears. The message still appears at 210.

With debug enabled that number must be increased to 217 . . . and these are the debug messages:

vmdebug self::$_jpConfig->lang en_gb
vmdebug vmTime: loadConfig db no: 0.00170397758484
vmdebug Start used Ram 5M
vmdebug vmTime: VirtuemartControllerVirtuemart Finished task : 0.196256160736
vmdebug End used Ram 7.75M
vmdebug Peak memory peak 7.75M

Milbo

Use also vmdebug. Print the number of messages.

Seoirserob

Firstly, by the way . . . Thank You, Milbo, for your input and assistance, I am not an expert . . . in anything really, so thank you for the time.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by, 'enable vmdebug', as I thought that's what I had done (configuration>shop>Enable debugging messages).

I have increased max message limit to 600 on the live test-site, and enabled vm debugging messages, here, http://www.d1212741-7189.cp.blacknight.com/celtict/index.php/store/ladies

The results are relatively inconsequential. Though I wonder does the volume of stock ( not extensive ) or categories ( a bit extensive ) add to the problem by browsing into categories and sub-categories, as messages are returned reporting on stock levels.

For example:

vmdebug self::$_jpConfig->lang en_gb
vmdebug vmTime: loadConfig db no: 0.00220489501953
vmdebug Start used Ram 6M
vmdebug $stockhandle none and stock 3 ordered 1
vmdebug $stockhandle none and stock 2 ordered 0
vmdebug $stockhandle none and stock 3 ordered 0
vmdebug $stockhandle none and stock 4 ordered 0
vmdebug $stockhandle none and stock 3 ordered 0
vmdebug $stockhandle none and stock 6 ordered 0
vmdebug vmTime: VirtuemartControllerCategory Finished task : 0.138818979263
vmdebug End used Ram 8M
vmdebug Peak memory peak 8M

PS: if I increase the limit to 1000 the problem will probably never be visible, but surely it is there for a reason. I don't really care, if the site is unaffected, but if 210 'invisible' messages are being generated, does that affect the load times or page speed? ( . . . sorry that's not true. I DO care, I would rather fix a problem, but if it's a minor, insignificant issue, then I'll settle for a botch job for now.

PPS: If nobody else has had this issue, should it be moved to a different category? . . . I only put it here 'coz I thought it was a bug, I performed a routine update and found the problem afterwards . . . so, I suppose, it's just me.

Thanks again.
Rob.

Milbo

The used subboard for this topic is correct.

I think you have some modules and/or plugins enabled, but they are not visible. Please disable any vm extension you are not sure about.

Seoirserob

Thanks Milbo for your response again . . . and apologies for the silence from my side ( numerous boring reasons omitted ).

BTW: ALL MY PREVIOUS LINKS POSTED ABOVE ARE NOW DEAD. - I will have new ones soon - ( BACKUPS - BackUps - backups - back - oops! )

I think I have found a solution. Having only returned to work on this site's upgrade, I took your advice and returned to the extensions and plugins to try and trace the problem. In trying an upgrade like this I have tried out different extensions, some work some don't, but I endeavor to keep a check on how each one impacts site performance, and watch for conflicts. However, it would appear that my first assumptions were correct . . .

The problem does NOT lie with a third party extension.

In the image attached you can see the offending component.

To fix the problem I clicked on "Extension Manager" then "Manage", where I filtered the results by typing "virtuemart" . . .

I uninstalled the "Virtuemart" component version 2.0.2 - which stopped VM from working in the site front end, and removed access to VM from the back end.

I the reinstalled the OLD virtuemart 2.0.2 release. The message no longer appears and all seems to be good. VM shows as the current version ( 2.0.6 ) when accessed through the back end from the components menu, as normal.

My only question is  . . . Should there be 2 virtuemart components visible in the extension manager, one for 2.0.2 and one for 2.0.6? because I have both.

BTW: ALL MY PREVIOUS LINKS POSTED ABOVE ARE NOW DEAD - I will have new ones soon - ( BACKUPS - BackUps - backups - back - oops! )

[attachment cleanup by admin]

Seoirserob

OK . . . so I started again with a fresh install of Joomla! 2.5.4 and VM 2.0.6

I installed all required extensions.

Then in phpMyAdmin I exported and imported each table one by one from the old to the new to see what I could see.

All VM tables transfered without an issue.

All extensions transfered without an issue.

The _menu / _menu_types tables in database . . . importing those from the previous database brought back "Max Messages Reached"

Problem solved for now . . . Only 1 VM administrator component showing in extension manager (VM 2.0.6), I think all is repaired. I just need to remake my menus, or possibly delet all VM menu items in the old db,

Thanks for all your help anyway, I realise this is not a common problem. Maybe the source of the problem was linked to directory permissions while performing the upgrade? I don't know.

Milbo

yepp

strange problem indeed.

r7diego

i had this exact problem, after update joomla to 2.5.7 and virtuemar to 2.0.8 a lot of error mesages pop up and virtuemart could't found the categories and products, the problema was a language package that i install in joomla, i had to turn back the default language to english and traslate the categories and productos to spanish wich was the second language installed, after that i change the default language to spanish in joomla and the problem disappear