News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Multiple Quantity Question

Started by team, April 26, 2012, 16:27:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webgobe

Like a fine wine... Good from the start and getting better over time.

Lockerbie

Way to go Webgobe!
It should have been in the code a long time ago, I guess. That could have saved us all much time and frustrations.
I'm glad I've found a part of this adjustment, but I'm even more glad you helped me and completed this so it could work as wanted!  ;)

turkish74

Hi all

Milbo said (Reply #44) that will may be implemented in VM. Is that on the way or should i use the "hack" from webgobe ?
I prefer that this implemented in the VM.

Cheers

Milbo

Thanks turkish74 for your bump. I will contact webgobe. Thank you.
Should I fix your bug, please support the VirtueMart project and become a member

webgobe

turkish74

Thank you Milbo.

We have a big Hostin Provider (hostpoint.ch) in Switzerland, and they will shutdown all J1.5 Installations on 6 April 2013.

I migrated one shop with this multiple Quantity Steps features from 1.1.9. I you have feeling, when this feature will be availabe, so then i can arrange me.

If you said this is not possible until april 2013, so then i have to look for a workaround. Any input will be helpful.

Cheers

webgobe

You will have it in matter of days. Hopefully this weekend. Contact me, if you want it faster, to send you the hack,
I need to make some changes in order to be included in core distribution, this takes a bit of time. But I think, that worth waiting couple of days.

turkish74

Hi Milbo

Is there a new Version of Virtuemart on the way?

Cheers

mikedunn

Hi .
I hope no one minds me jumping on this thread.

Like Lockerbie I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for a long time. This thread is as close as I have found to a solution but it is not quite there. 

What I need is a check to see if the TOTAL number of bottles at checkout is a multiple of 12. As far as I can see the script so graciously provided by webgobe checks for multiples per product in the checkout.

i.e I don't mind if there is 5 of one product and 7 of another just as long as the total is 12 ( or multiples of 12 i.e a carton for shipping)

I have tried to examine the code but my php skills are not that advanced.  Please could someone guide me as how to modify the code to suite my need. I would be forever grateful.

Cheers
Mike

webgobe

Hmm, is not completely impossible, but needs heavy programming... A dirty, relatively quick workaround will be to store the number of bottles  in a session variable, to update it which each addon to cart or quantity modification in the cart, and run the check against the pre established number. But the solution currently implemented can be used just as a starting point. The possible situations in your scenario are too complex to be handled by using the implemented trickery.

mikedunn

Thank you very much for the reply.

Sorry for the delay in responding I had to do some quick learning to get my head around your suggestions.

I have started a new thread here as I think the topic is sufficiently different.

https://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=114846.0

If you could please have a look and give me some more advice I would be very grateful.

Cheers
Mike

John2400

mikedunn,

I cannot help you on the coding but I just wonder if the cart was set to only work if the cart was divisible by 12 and give a whole number?

If it was not divisible then it would pop up a message and say - you must buy in multiples of 12?

just thinking -

mikedunn

Thanks for the reply. I have been trying to think of alternate solutions as well.

I think you idea might be too limiting. I need the popup to occur when the confirm order button is pushed not before. ( although a warning is echoed inline before that)

i.e it is ok to add 7 bottles to the cart , view the cart, then continue shopping and add another 5. The error is only displayed if the confirm button is pressed and the final total of bottles is not a multiple of 12.

I am nearly there with my solution, I just need it to update.

Thanks for contributing though.

Cheers
Mike

mediastreet

Hi there,

I can't get the link to http://webgobe.com/download/category/11-component-hacks.html to work (takes me to a 404). Is the solution still possible with the more recent versions of VM?

Thanks in advance,
Media Street Ltd, Exeter, Devon.
Exeter Web Design > Follow me on Twitter

rainman2000

This, my friends, is another example of Virtuemart sadly being a piece of broken software.

Over the past 4 years we have invested heavily in Virtuemart. A few months ago we decided to migrate from VM 1.1.9 to VM 2 to the tune of thousands of dollars. I was forewarned to abandon Virtuemart because it was in a death spiral but because we had so much already invested in the platform I decided to stick with it. However, in hindsight, I should have heeded those warnings and this thread is a perfect example of why. How does something as simple and basic as a customizable drop-down quantity box not make it in the core of VM 2 when it was so clear in VM 1? It's like an auto maker going from a decent vehicle one year to creating a vehicle the next year and not including a rear view mirror; a seemingly small addition that can result in a lot of frustration and headache if it's not there. And now it needs to become an "add-on" better known as a hack. Part of our reasoning for moving to VM 2 was so we would have code that wasn't hacked up. Well so much for that bright idea. Hikashop, Shopify, or even Magento Community is looking better by the day.

-Rainman