News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Problem loading VM2 into Joomla 2.5

Started by gofer123, April 22, 2012, 08:58:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gofer123

Hi all,
Unfortunately I had to reload Win 7 on my PC and since then I've been having problems loading Virtuemart 2 into my Joomla 2.5 site (local install) I loaded Akeeba and JCE Editor without problems. Prior to the reload I had no problem loading VM
The message I receive, after a long wait when attempting to load VM is: Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\xampp\htdocs\demo-shop\libraries\joomla\filesystem\archive\tar.php on line 146
BTW I changed the session time to 120 in Global Configuration.
Could someone shed some light on this please.

jenkinhill

You need to increase max_execution_time in your localhost php.ini - not in Joomla config. You may need to convert the tar.gz file to zip if you do not have tar support on the host.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

gofer123

Thanks for the reply, I wasn't getting anywhere so I changed to Wamp. Now I can load things like JCE Editor and Akeeba backup but still no luck with VM2.
Could you please tell me where to find that file Wamp to increase the execution time, thanks.
CheersCKADDX

jenkinhill

Look for the php.ini file - there may be more than one, though. I don't use localhost, only real live Linux servers, so can't tell you exactly where.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

gofer123

Thanks for the replies, could you tell me how you used .htacess please.
Cheers

jenkinhill

Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

gofer123

Just to let you know, I managed to successfully install VM2 into Joomla 2.5
I changed over to Wamp (64 bit) changed the max_execution_time = 5000
And it worked!
Cheers

athenken

I am having issues with VM2 as well, though my problem is getting it to upload into Joomla 2.5 that is hosted on FatCow.  I have tried uploading it directly from my computer, via url, and via directory.

The problem via direct upload and via url is it continues to "connect" then times out.  When I try uploading through the directory, whether via ftp or otherwise I get various errors.

I am using Firefox as my browser.

Any suggestions on getting any of these methods to work?

John2400

athenken,

I had this isssue, like quite a few, and if you have read the solutions below you are now at the point where you need to ask your provider to increase your PHP memory - which they should do for free.

In some servers adding  a php.ini file does not help you as the provider has some restrictions on the server.

* I presume you have uploaded the files seperately first to the public folder and then _ used the URL link to install.  That did work for me.

*later I simply requested the PHP memory increase and had no issue later.

athenken

I am pretty new to all of this, so forgive my density when it comes to some of the things you are talking about.  But, from what I understand about my hosting service I have "unlimited disk space" for my site.  I have read that for some people having the "execution time" increased has worked, yet I am not understanding what that is.  I have submitted a ticket with my hosting provider, however, and am waiting to hear back.

Also, where would the public folder be?  Is in the file manager on my hosting providers website for my site?  If that is the case then I have tried it and had issues with the ftp settings between my host provider and Joomla.

John2400

Hi athenken,

The public or home folder is the actual place where your site lives on the web .
( all the files you see on the internet that the public can see are in this folder)
* this is where you could initially transfer the file to)

* the room on your server is not what I am talking about ( it is the memory that allows files to be uploaded that you are asking to be increased) - having 1 gig on your site is not going to help.

* just send the tag and ask for your php memory to be increased to 64m meg as a start and see what their reply is.

let me know how you went.

athenken

I contacted by hosting providers support about increasing the upload limit to 64mb and they refused.  It is currently set at 10mb.

There is one other option I may try to get this uploaded, but if it doesn't work I will probably have to look for another solution for an integrated shopping cart feature.

John2400

??

Bit odd to refuse that upload limit but , 10 meg should be good enought at VM is normally under 4meg.

So you need to try and ftp upload the two files to your server first - that should work, ( then install from there)

It should fit - maybe chnge your provider as this is not allowing some easy changes for you.

athenken

I thought I would provide an update on this issue.  I was able to find a resolution and figured it would be good to outline what it is in case any other people in this forum also have fatcow as their hosting provider.

Basically, the way to upload pretty much any extension or plugin is to go into the file manager in your admin account on fatcow and upload the archive file into the temp file.  Then go into the Archive Gateway and extract it.  Make sure it is completely extracted as some extensions I have found are packaged as an archive inside an archive.

So, once you have fully extracted the archived file you can then go into the Extension Manager in Joomla and upload it.  This method has successfully worked for my for a few different extensions.