News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Parent/Child Products Working?

Started by manzanita, April 18, 2012, 14:39:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manzanita

I am somewhat baffled by the parent/child implementation. Simply, I want to display the child products on the parent product page. I have been search and reading, and others have asked this same question without any clear response.

Does the Parent/Child Product work?

Is is possible to display all the child products on the parent product page?

Thanks

VM 2.0.4 / J 2.5

manzanita

This is crazy...

I just installed a fresh install of VM 2.0.6 on J 2.5.4 with the sample data. There is a parent item called Ladder with 3 child products: Metal Ladder, Wooden Ladder and Plastic Ladder.

I do not see any relationship or trace of existence of the child products to the parent in the front end. What is the point of Parent/Child Products?

manzanita

Before i spend more time on this, can someone tell me if Parent/Child Products works at all? It seams like it just doesn't work and nothing i do has any effect on the actual functionality.

manzanita

Can someone confirm as to whether or not the Parent/Child Products works? My research suggests that it does not work at all, but possibly it is just my own lack of understanding.

thanks

dsrpmedia

the short answer is 'no'

the long answer is some people have made it kind-of-sort-of work by following this thread http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=100480.0

I`ve been working on this for months, with limited success - I was able to get an almost acceptable parent/child relationship working locally using wamp (no where near as good ior as easy as vm 1.1) but it turns out that the whole parent/child thing only works on some servers.

I had tried 2 different hosts (GoDaddy. GreenGeeks)  & my (working locally) setup didn `t work on either.

I`m hoping this gets worked out sooner rather than later - but personally I am staying with VM 1.1 until I can find a joomla 2.5 compatable ecommerce solution that just plain works.

spyderwebdesign

Quote from: dsrpmedia on April 19, 2012, 00:53:05 AM
the long answer is some people have made it kind-of-sort-of work by following this thread http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=100480.0

I have nearly gotten my parent / child relationships to work correctly and am automatically imported them with csvi.

The 2 issues I currently have is
1. sizes in the drop down box are not in the same order as in my import.
2. when I choose any combination of the variants, the item is still out of stock and I can not add it to cart.

I'll keep you posted when I work out those two kinks.