same Issue, only for your information. Joomla 2.54 and VM 2.0.4 -> try to install 2.0.6
Server is: Linux version 184.108.40.206-20101130b-iscsi-ntacker-fasync-mremap-amd-sec6-grsec (root@buildd-i386) (gcc version 4.3.2 (Debian 4.3.2-1.1) ) #1 SMP Tue Nov 30 18:27:29 CET 2010.
Of course tar is one standard package of this distribution. If I upload, the *.tar.gz it´s ending in an internal server error.
Thanks for your workaround with winrar.
Update: For all those who are not familiar with winrar, these instructions worked for me- if you are using a windows system
of course do a backup with ftp or tar with command shell, dump your database
- download and install a testversion of winrar
- extract com_virtuemart.2.0.6_extract_first.zip to your fav harddrive place
- extract both *.tar.gz files inside with winrar to different folders
- then zip the contents of these folders again with windows own zip-functionality
- upload new zip-files with joomlas extension manager