News:

Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Home page layout templates are not showing up

Started by Anriëtte Combrink, April 17, 2012, 10:07:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anriëtte Combrink

Hi there

I upgraded from 2.0.4 to 2.0.6 today, and now there are no options under Home page layout except 'default'. How can I get the other options (default_category & default_products) back?

Thanks in advance.

[attachment cleanup by admin]

SUGO

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem, I think it's a bug

It is a big problem, at the moment my shop in production stayed with templates default VM  :'(

Best regards

Anriëtte Combrink

I hoped 2.0.6 fixed the page title to include the sitename but it didn't, and it broke a few stuff it seems. Oi...

Anriëtte Combrink

Quote from: SUGO on April 17, 2012, 10:33:58 AM
It is a big problem, at the moment my shop in production stayed with templates default VM  :'(

That's why I never update components in production. Only Joomla.

jenkinhill

default_categories.php and default_products.php are still there and used by the default.php template file. Previously they showed incorrectly in the BE as selecting them made no difference. If you wish to use those files as overrides then make a copy, make your edits and ftp the file into the /html/com_virtuemart/virtuemart/ directory of your Joomla template. The override will then be used.

There is now a just an issue in 2.0.6 with the BE reading those override files unless you flush the browser cache, but they do work.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

SUGO

Hi jenkinhill

Sorry, but I'm Spanish and translation to your post not quite understand it, (I do the dialogue through translators)

In my shop, the templates are in html/template/html/com_virtuemart/category, formerly in the 2.0.4 version if it was them and could select them in the administration of VM. In the following versions have disappeared in the Administration and not teach them, although there are.

I have to say that also named them differently, so I have the original in order to make comparisons in updates, my templates named them as sugo_categories.php for example.

now, although put them in wiev of VM folders not it shows them me.

I understand that something happened in the code for that previously worked perfectly.

Thanks in advance for your selfless help.

Best regards
Javier Gomez

Anriëtte Combrink

Quote from: jenkinhill on April 17, 2012, 13:29:45 PM
default_categories.php and default_products.php are still there and used by the default.php template file. Previously they showed incorrectly in the BE as selecting them made no difference. If you wish to use those files as overrides then make a copy, make your edits and ftp the file into the /html/com_virtuemart/virtuemart/ directory of your Joomla template. The override will then be used.

There is now a just an issue in 2.0.6 with the BE reading those override files unless you flush the browser cache, but they do work.

Well, in version 2.0.4 they absolutely made a difference, as I used default_products.php to only show products on the homepage. And in case this makes a difference, allowing users to select these templates from the BE is much nicer, than to have to manually FTP to default.php and comment certain lines out.

jenkinhill

You can turn off what you don't want in VirtueMart Home Page Settings - but you cannot turn off the categories, and I guess that is what you want to do?

What you should really have done from the start was to use template overrides, as, with an update, templates can change. But if you just want to show the product modules without categories copy the default_products.php into the override directory, rename it to default.php and select default in "Layout for your home page ".

Hope that makes sense.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Anriëtte Combrink

Quote from: jenkinhill on April 18, 2012, 16:38:09 PM
You can turn off what you don't want in VirtueMart Home Page Settings - but you cannot turn off the categories, and I guess that is what you want to do?

What you should really have done from the start was to use template overrides, as, with an update, templates can change. But if you just want to show the product modules without categories copy the default_products.php into the override directory, rename it to default.php and select default in "Layout for your home page ".

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks, I've done this now. Though, my 2c, if default.php is the only option for this BE setting, why have it in at all?

jenkinhill

It is not the only option - you can do an awful lot through overrides, & if you renamed the file placed in the override to, eg productonly.php, then that name would show up in the selector list. Leaving it as default makes it a no brainer.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

HC

Quote from: jenkinhill on April 18, 2012, 23:28:41 PM
It is not the only option - you can do an awful lot through overrides, & if you renamed the file placed in the override to, eg productonly.php, then that name would show up in the selector list. Leaving it as default makes it a no brainer.
Yes and that is what I also have done with earlier versions of VM2, but now as others describe above in VM2.0.6 they are gone? there is no choices except the default.php.

So why is it that we don't see the other e.g. default_products.php and default_category.php as choices in the dropdown in BE?

I did rename my own modified default_products.php to default.php (in the template override), and then it worked, but there must be a bug since nothing else but files named "default.php" works!?!

jenkinhill

The dropdown will normally show no override or default, but if you place template files (remaned or not) in the override directory and clear the browser cache then those will show as well.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Renata

Dear jenkinhill

I upgraded vm from version 2.0.4 to 2.0.6

I did use overrides now as you advised and my problem (same as described here above concerning category details instead of productdetails what i had and what disappeared as a choice after upgrading) is solved. I am very gratefull with VM and i know you all work hard to make this component better every time. But this i do not understand:

Why with an upgrade we do get less choices concerning homepage settings? Why do we have to do this manually now? With VM 2.0.4 it was good and with VM 2.0.6 it was gone? What is the benefit of this? Is this a bug? will this be corrected in the next release?

Sorry for my question, but this is very confusing for me. I hope you don't mind my question about this. It took me a lot of time to find out what was wrong.

Kind regards
Renata
Please visit my website https://responsivewebsitemaken.nl for all your graphic webdesign and Joomla websites.

jenkinhill

As far as I am concerned showing all the files in the VM view directory was wrong. Now it is correct in showing default / no override for the standard directory,  with any files in the overrides directory now also showing in the list.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Renata

Quote from: jenkinhill on April 26, 2012, 15:29:39 PM
As far as I am concerned showing all the files in the VM view directory was wrong. Now it is correct in showing default / no override for the standard directory,  with any files in the overrides directory now also showing in the list.
Hi jenkinhill

Thanks for your reply. To which list are you referring to? Standard with VM 2.0.6 i have only 2 options: default and no override. I see no files showing anywhere on a list in the backend?

I did as following to make products visible instead of categories:

views/virtuemart/tmpl:

Copied the default.php and renamed it defaulttuinboeken.php. On this document i changed categories into products. Defaulttuinboeken is now showing next to default/no overrides in the backend/configuration/templates. Nothing more. Before with VM 2.0.4 also products was showing up overthere which was perfect! Products.php still exists on the server as before but not showing up anymore.

I do not understand to what list you are referring to?

Please advise...as perhaps i did something wrong and/or didn't understand you (i am dutch ;) )

Kind regards
Renata
Please visit my website https://responsivewebsitemaken.nl for all your graphic webdesign and Joomla websites.