News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

Coupon that offsets shipping costs and gives 5% discount?

Started by reinhold, December 28, 2012, 16:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reinhold

I'm currently looking for a way to have a coupon that will exactly offset shipping costs and further reduce the order amount by 5%.
How can I achieve this?

The problem is that I'm selling music scores, which are price-fixed by law: the Austrian "Buchpreisbindungsgesetz" says that noone is allowed to sell books and music score for less than 5% below the list price set by the publisher. So if I want to offer discounts to some special musicians, all I can do is to give a discount of at most 5% and waive all shipping costs. Everything else is a violation of trade laws.

Those musicians are not yet customers (and I even don't know who exactly might order), so I can't add them to some special customer groups for which I can set shipping costs to 0. I want everyone who has the coupon code to be able to order with 0 shipping costs (and 5% discount), while everyone else will have to pay full price and shipping costs...

How can I achieve this in VM 2.0.16?

Cheers,
Reinhold

reinhold

Replying to myself: Using my "Advanced Shipping by Rules" plugin (http://www.open-tools.net/virtuemart-2-extensions/vm2-advanced-shipping-by-rules-plugin.html ), one can now make the shipping cost conditional on the coupon code. In particular, one can create a normal coupon with 5% discount and then use the advanced shipping by rules plugin to set free shipping for that coupon code. The corresponding rule is:

Name=Free shipping for coupon; Coupon=="COUPON_CODE"; Shipping=0