News:

Looking for documentation? Take a look on our wiki

Main Menu

"Clone Product" not the same as J! "Copy?"

Started by terp, April 07, 2012, 05:15:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

terp

I was creating 5-6 similar products, so I used the "clone product" in the backend 'Product List' view.

It worked perfectly...except every single clone will assume the alt-text of the original. If I go to one of the clones and change the alt-text for image and save it, the 'alt text' field for the other products will change to the one I just edited.

Does that make sense? :)

For example:

Create Product 1 and use alt text "Product-1"
Clone Product 1, name it Product 2, change the alt-text for the image to "Product 2"
Clone Product 2, name it Product 3, change the alt-text to "Product 3"

Now check the alt-text for product 1 and 2. :)

If any are changed, they all change...almost as if linking the products rather than copying...which is why I ask, as clone might not be equal to copy. :)

terp

Okay, perhaps this is because we are assigning alt-text at the image level and not the product...using the same images for all items. I do see a little "edit image information" icon in the lower-right corner, but it doesn't fire a dialogue box or change the image parameters/fields so I can change them.

dontflinch

there is some weird issue with the products staying acquainted with each other.  I have posted a new thread about it here:
http://forum.virtuemart.net/index.php?topic=103414.msg343539#msg343539

it is not just the media.  if you un-publish the new ones the old ones unpublish too.

this is a real problem and from what I can tell we have all reported it differently so maybe dev hasn't seen it yet.