News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

How to use Custom Field stockable variant (Explained) (video) (photos page 4)

Started by HG, March 30, 2012, 15:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce Morgan

In my view software that only works some of the time depending on what type of host you use, meets the classic definition of "unstable".  I like my hosting service and share it with others.  They have commited to having a new server running php 5.3 within another month or so and I will try and migrate my site to that server while updating my site.  If I cannot get VM to work with my hosting compnay I will simply find another shopping cart software.

The whole custom fields feature is complex beyond belief and annoying to the extreme, and now there is the added variable that it seems to work (or not work at all) differently of different systems.  Is it time to throw the baby out with the bath water and start over?

exschnecki123

Thanks for the instruction: I followed your instruction, but the colors and sizes do not appear at the front end.

What is wrong?

Thanks.

[attachment cleanup by admin]

dsrpmedia

exschnecki123

I got it now! ;D

I forgot to update the virtuemart-aio. After the upgrade its working.

mark R

Hi all,

I have got variants working but unfortunately it does not update the stock quantities of the child products.. is this a known issue?

vm2.0.4

many thanks
mark
Seek and ye shall find.........
4 VM sites and counting

dsrpmedia

Quote from: corymp on April 06, 2012, 00:11:41 AM
I just made a discovery...

I backed up and downloaded my site with akeeba backup, installed Zend Server, and loaded my site into it. NOW the stockable variants work! This is definitely a server issue. Once I am set up and make sure everything works properly on my local site, I will contact my shared hosting company and ask them what the problem is. If I can download a free server, that works better than theirs theres something wrong..

I am getting exactly as HG describes now. This is great but its still a p*** off that now I gotta fight with my host to fix a problem I can't describe

Hey corymp, don `t know if you are still following this, but I got exactly the same results - tried with 2 different hosting companies, the stockable variants plugin gave nothing but erros and grief - loaded the site locally & it worked (kind of)

using joomla 2.5.4 vm 2.0.4

***still not nearly as good as the VM 1.1 way
- cannot show the price in the dropdown,
- cannot have the parent as a template which cannot be ordered
-the name of the parent is given in the 'added to cart' popup message (eg 'ladder was added to cart'  instead of 'plastic ladder was added to cart' 

(although parent is no longer added to the child dropdown, which is a step in the right direction - but it would be sooo nice if they had to choose a child BEFORE they could add to cart, like in VM 1.1)

- the child product names are showing up in the cart - but the prices are different in the cart than on the page?! (eg plastic ladder 65.61 + 6.07 tax in the cart, but on the page it is 50.40 + 4.66 tax)

all in all some signs of progress - if this was an early beta I would be quite encouraged - as it is the 4th 'stable' release, not so much

I guess the whole point is moot if I cannot get it to work anywhere but locally on my computer

spyderwebdesign

I GOT IT TO WORK OMG!!!

http://www.likdancewear.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=productdetails&virtuemart_product_id=10&virtuemart_category_id=1

Now I just need to find a way to automate an import that sets the size and color to the parent. I can import parents and childs already. I am getting so close.

HG do you happen to use csvi for importing? If so, do you know how to setup a csv file to import like this automatically?

spyderwebdesign

CRAP.... I just noticed this isn't working exactly correct. My inventory for a black size 8 is 0 yet the cart system still lets me order it. It should not let me order items that are out of stock....

Can anyone confirm that this works correctly or is a bug?

mark R

Quote from: spyderwebdesign on April 14, 2012, 07:56:44 AM
CRAP.... I just noticed this isn't working exactly correct. My inventory for a black size 8 is 0 yet the cart system still lets me order it. It should not let me order items that are out of stock....

Can anyone confirm that this works correctly or is a bug?

I also have this issue, does your copy reduce stock correctly (when ordered), on the variants which do have stock??

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2
Seek and ye shall find.........
4 VM sites and counting

spyderwebdesign

Quote from: mark R on April 14, 2012, 09:47:25 AM

I also have this issue, does your copy reduce stock correctly (when ordered), on the variants which do have stock??

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk 2

Once I place the order, I login to admin and change the order status to confirmed. Then I check the inventory count and it stays the same. Then I went back to Orders and changed the status again to shipped. I checked my inventory and now I have MORE items then I started with - lol.

Is anyone else getting the same findings?

bunglehaze

Quote from: dsrpmedia on April 03, 2012, 04:46:50 AM
I can appreciate that... the whole beauty of virtuemart up until 2.0 is that you didn `t need to be a programmer to do simple things like add a child product.

In fact I would often show clients who could barely send email how to manage their entire shop in less than an hour.

It has now been several weeks for me, & I have yet to get a basic site working properly - and I `m not sure I`ve seen a vm 2.0 site that anyone has got working that works perfectly without any caveats.

This has been one of my major gripes with the redevelopment of VM to 2.0 - a new product should always enhance what was before, IMO the system needed to administer the shop now is far too developer led. By that I mean it is clear that someone highly skilled and technical has called the ultimate shots for usability rather than working out where the system needs improving and leaving the usability decisions to a more design and UI based developer who would usually step in before launch and say - wait a sec! This is not an improvement on the old version.

If I had any hair left, I would be tearing the remainder of it out trying to figure something as simple as > parent product either zero priced or a set 'base' price > each attribute price being set to what in VM1.1 terms would have been =£myprice but this version does not do that, it enforces +£myprice which is plain dumb.

Honestly, if I had not invested so much time into this new site, or had I still been running VM1.1 I would be considering using one of the other number of ecommerce programs on the market, even migrating to them at this stage is not possible as the developers of the rivals haven't coded migrators yet because the VM2 code is STILL changing too regularly.

Bruce Morgan

I agree.  The development team seems to have lost touch with their user base, which is shop owners like myself or smaller web site developers who need a product that is ready to use (or almost so) right out of the box.  VM1.1 offered that and VM 2.0 does not even come close.  It is probably worth mentioning that the Joomla Extensions site no longer has Virtuemart listed and one of the select "Editor's Choice" extensions.  Unless some fixes are made the only "migration" will be from VM to some other e-commerce solution.  I and many others would really hate to do that.

spyderwebdesign

When you guys add are viewing the page as a shopper and make a selection with the variants, does the page reload and utilize the inventory? For me, even though my variants have inventory counts, every selection states the product is out of stock and to click notify me when it comes back into stock.

Here is a screen shot of my parent item's custom field showing the stockable variants.

Jeff Marsh Photo

Quote from: dsrpmedia on March 31, 2012, 00:53:35 AM
QuoteIts not trust me..its a lot of words because of the steps....if you create an item then add the children then do the steps you will see.
or pay me I'll login and do the fields for you...

I`d be glad to make a contribution if you can help me to understand how to do this - I`ve built several VM shops which are running fine under the old VM 1.1, but because Joomla 1.5 is being outdated I will need to upgrade these sites eventually - plus I have a few new customers who I would rather not build on the old framework / switch cart solution for if I can get VM 2.0 to work.

Basically I need to replicate (almost exactly) the parent/child relationship which was standard in the old VM 1.1 setup
-see this link http://www.nutrawholesale.com/nutra-organic-plant-acids-opa/2-step-anti-flu-program?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_default.tpl&product_id=27&category_id=43

note
- the parent has no price, it is just a 'shell'
- the parent does not appear in the childrens` drop down
- the child product name + attribute (size) + price are displayed in the dropdown
- when a selection from the dropdown is made that child products` page loads

Can you make this happen / help me to understand how?
How much of a contribution are you looking for?

Thank you again.

<<<<<<======= Just wanted to say that I like the shopping cart. Jeff Marsh.

toolbox978

Hello,

I have been struggling with this for about 7 or 8 hours now.  I am convinced something is wrong with the software, there has to be a glitch.

After I click custom fields while under the parent, and then click Custom Field Type, click save and go to the item, the option to match each child with the color/size does not appear.  Nothing happens!  I've tried more than one browser, clearing my cache, everything.  Can't get it to work.

Please help.