News:

You may pay someone to create your store, or you visit our seminar and become a professional yourself with the silver certification

Main Menu

How to use Custom Field stockable variant (Explained) (video) (photos page 4)

Started by HG, March 30, 2012, 15:43:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loris

Updated to 2.0.3I...
first impression: some worsening in custom stockable variants plugin, but some improovements on generic child variant. The cart page gets worse and worse...
Anyway, whatever your method, if working or not, you need to save too many times to create variants you want and go back and forth across parent and child

Bruce Morgan

One of the biggest disappointments with VM 2.x is the fact that is contains some major flaws and the developers seem to be in denial about it with the topic of this thread being the most glaring example.  What I would love to see is a statement from one of the architects admitting that they blew it and are committed to making this feature more robust and user friendly.  I follow the threads, install the test releases and hope that the latest releaee will bring some joy.  Having an update with one feature marginally better and another marginally worse is not progress, it is a pperpetual development project.

Long ago i accepted that i could not run my site without occasional professional help.  If I adopt the new VM on top of the new Joomla I am not certain that i can even make the site work and the amount of assistance I would require would be massive and expensive beyond what i can afford.  I need to be able to shaped and maintain my site without becoming a software developer.

I understand VM was not created to exactly meet my needs, but I also believe that I am a fairly typical user.  Failure to address these issues will drive myself and many others to different e-commerce platforms.  I would do this reluctantly but I cannot ride the Joomla 1.5.x/VM 1.1.x horse forever.  In another 2-3 months I need to find a platform that I can live with long term.  I hope i can find it here.

Bruce

dsrpmedia

Quote6. SAVE (after saved you should see something like in fig 7.jpg)

after I save (new product created just like Loris) all the fields go blank - no child is created, I do not get the next dialogue box.

on the front end I get this error 'Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /path-to-site/plugins/vmcustom/stockable/stockable.php on line 187

(fresh joomla 2.5.3 install / fresh VM 2.0.3H)

I `m afraid I have to agree with Bruce - after using VM exclusively for several years I am in the position of having to seriously look at all other cart options - I can `t get this to work (even the beginning basic steps like adding a child)

I `ve seen several people with the same error as I - has anyone who has gotten this error ever figured out a cure?

delikatess

Quote from: dsrpmedia on April 03, 2012, 18:12:42 PM
Quote6. SAVE (after saved you should see something like in fig 7.jpg)

after I save (new product created just like Loris) all the fields go blank - no child is created, I do not get the next dialogue box.

on the front end I get this error 'Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /path-to-site/plugins/vmcustom/stockable/stockable.php on line 187

(fresh joomla 2.5.3 install / fresh VM 2.0.3H)

I `m afraid I have to agree with Bruce - after using VM exclusively for several years I am in the position of having to seriously look at all other cart options - I can `t get this to work (even the beginning basic steps like adding a child)

I `ve seen several people with the same error as I - has anyone who has gotten this error ever figured out a cure?

still the same Problem here...
The only conclusion is that we got other server configurations?!
What do you think?

and i found some other major bugs.... yawwwn..

corymp

This is apparently not a priority for the virtuemart team... It's insane that we have to battle this ourselves with without any support from the developers.

Just the fact that there are a few that have it working and the rest of us for some reason CANNOT says something is wrong and no one has weighed in to even give us a clue as to what it is.

If someone from the development team can read through this thread and give us their thoughts on it, would be great.
VM 2.0.4 Stable
J2.5.4

dsrpmedia

Quotestill the same Problem here...
The only conclusion is that we got other server configurations?!
What do you think?

I`ve tried it on 2 different hosts with the same results - the only thing they have in common is they are 'shared hosting' - perhaps virtuemart no longer runs on a shared hosting environment?

has anyone actually got vm 2.0 working in a shared hosting environment?

Quoteand i found some other major bugs.... yawwwn..

I`ve been stopped dead in my tracks at what should be the easiest task - I shudder to think what awaits if I ever get beyond this hurdle

jochem8

Quotehas anyone actually got vm 2.0 working in a shared hosting environment?

Yes, I have. With the help of the topic starter I now have all the parents and childs with SKU created. It was a horrible job and took me about 2 days. The webshop is not live yet and I will only update to a stable version from now on because I don't want to lose 2 days of labour.

dsrpmedia

QuoteYes, I have. With the help of the topic starter I now have all the parents and childs with SKU created. It was a horrible job and took me about 2 days.

I don `t get it - as far as I can tell I have followed exactly both Loris & HGs` steps - on 2 different hosts, trying with both the sample installed data, as well as with products created in the process & still the errors - and several people seem to be in the same position.

did you ever get the error
'Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /path-to-site/plugins/vmcustom/stockable/stockable.php on line 187 ?
(seems to be the common thread between all of us who cannot get it working)

Maybe delikatess is on to something - maybe it`s just hit & miss as to which servers this will work on?

Bruce Morgan

70 posts on this thread alone and we still do not know if it works or how it works.  Does this sound like a robust or easy-to-use feature?  A huge step backward that needs to be corrected.

Bruce

jochem8

Quote from: dsrpmedia on April 04, 2012, 00:50:51 AM
QuoteYes, I have. With the help of the topic starter I now have all the parents and childs with SKU created. It was a horrible job and took me about 2 days.

I don `t get it - as far as I can tell I have followed exactly both Loris & HGs` steps - on 2 different hosts, trying with both the sample installed data, as well as with products created in the process & still the errors - and several people seem to be in the same position.

'Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /path-to-site/plugins/vmcustom/stockable/stockable.php on line 187 ?

Maybe delikatess is on to something - maybe it`s just hit & miss as to which servers this will work on?

Oh yes you are right about that. I do get these errors, that's why I still don't go live with the webshop, but at least all the products, children and their SKU are entered correctly. Now I'm waiting for the VM-team to fix all the bugs so I can update and go live.

HG

Quote from: jochem8 on April 04, 2012, 08:59:38 AM
Quote from: dsrpmedia on April 04, 2012, 00:50:51 AM

Oh yes you are right about that. I do get these errors, that's why I still don't go live with the webshop, but at least all the products, children and their SKU are entered correctly. Now I'm waiting for the VM-team to fix all the bugs so I can update and go live.

i think the bug is just in the variant option maybe a line or something is wrong but it works..

HG

Quote from: Bruce Morgan on April 04, 2012, 01:18:46 AM
70 posts on this thread alone and we still do not know if it works or how it works.  Does this sound like a robust or easy-to-use feature?  A huge step backward that needs to be corrected.

Bruce

its actually simple...but people learn differently...

Bruce Morgan

Sorry, but I cannot agree.  VM 1.1 attributes and parent/child was simple and could be learned in a half hour.  I spent a day fiddling with this in 2.0 and got nowhere.  I have not given up but I would like to know that it is bug free before tackling this again.  People may learn differently but learning something that is partially broken is a whole lot more difficult.  The silence of the development team on this issue is not encouraging. 

It would be helpful to which which parts are buggy so they can be avoided.  My hope is thatr all of the owrk you and others are doing will allow eventually for easy implementation by others.

Bruce