Support the VirtueMart project and become a member

Main Menu

Impementing Theme inside My joomla Exsinig Site

Started by Nimrod Gal, April 03, 2013, 13:18:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nimrod Gal

Hello everybody, i am a fresh newbie on Virtuemart

I have a specific question......

My existing site works with amazing RtL Template Which I bought from Yootheme and It's working perfect on my joomla 2.5 Version, i Have installed virtuemart 2 on my website and now i see that my store looks by default very simple and not stylish.

I saw a great looking Templates that looks amazing with great features for Virtuemart.

My question is:

Can i still stay with my general template and to implement other template only for the views of the products, categories Etc... ?

Thank you in advanced.

;)

jenkinhill

You can use two or more Joomla templates within a J2.5 site, it is just a case of allocating each template to the right menu items. You can also easily style the VirtueMart display to work nicely within your current template bu using template overrides. Or even buy a theme just for VirtueMart display.

BUT the issue with these commercial templates "styled for VirtueMart" or with commercial VirtueMart themes is that they are too often configured for an earlier version of Virtuemart and have to be modified for use with current versions. eg all the Template Monster templates I have seen have overrides for VirtueMart 2.0.6 - an older version whsich is known to be insecure.

The best option is to make your own template overrides for VirtueMart, laid out and styled to suit your Yoo template - it just needs a little basic knowledge of PHP, HTML and css. If you make it yourself then you will know how to modify the layout if required for future VirtueMart versionhs. eg VM2.1 is due out soon.
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum

Nimrod Gal

Thank you jenkinhill for your  answer :)

I do know that i can use couple of joomla themes and assign them to the relevant menu as i set it on the Joomla template manager.

I saw the Pro Mart Template on virtueplanet web site and i want to have the views on my product page and categories web page look like this + quick look and to use my current template.

What is the easiest way to do it?

is there is a tutorial for overrides?

jenkinhill

See http://www.ostraining.com/blog/joomla/overrides  and  http://dev.virtuemart.net/projects/virtuemart/wiki/Hints_for_the_use_of_the_template_system  for template overrides, which have been around since Joomla1.5 was introduced.

I suspect the ProMart template may be based on an earlier version of VM, around 2.0.8-10
Kelvyn
Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK

Retired from forum life November 2023

Please mention your VirtueMart, Joomla and PHP versions when asking a question in this forum